WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Mechanical Engineer, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker’s more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Mechanical Engineer.
ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING ENGINEERING PRACTICE
Michael Baker International seamlessly integrates all our service offerings – architecture, planning, landscape architecture, engineering and management – to solve client challenges from multiple vantage points, providing unsurpassed holistic, sustainable, and innovative solutions. From high-profile, high-image landmarks to low-cost, utilitarian solutions, our professionals know how to balance image and cost appropriately for each unique situation. At Michael Baker International, we believe that the beauty of a project resides both in performance and aesthetics – “success” to us is measured by functionality, value, and exceeding clients’ expectations to “Make a Difference.”
As an integral component of our Architecture/Engineering Practice, Michael Baker International seeks a Mechanical Engineer who is enthusiastic and motivated to be part of our team in Virginia Beach, VA. Responsibilities will include design and documentation for ongoing and future Department of Defense projects, with potential for diversification into other sectors as the market may present. You will work in multi-discipline, collaborative design teams with architects, interior designers, site/civil engineers, and other building systems engineers. The successful candidate is a responsible and accountable professional and will have creative solution-finding, organizational, and time management skills, a passion for solving complex design problems, a track record of producing projects on time and on budget, solid working knowledge of other engineering disciplines and other designer’s roles in a project, high standards for quality and performance, and thorough understanding of design and construction processes related to building and site mechanical design and engineering. Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Lead, in responsible charge of, mechanical design and engineering of projects, from project inception through as-built documentation
- Perform activities and produce documentation associated with design, construction, and contract documents, including products and systems research, code analysis, calculations, life cycle cost analysis, energy modeling, studies, field documentation, reports, drawings, specifications, and design analysis
- Manage the mechanical engineering aspects of a project, including preparing work plan, and maintaining quality, budget, and schedule
- Supervise and direct the work of mechanical engineering support staff assigned to the project
- Along with other team members, communicate and collaborate with clients during development of project scope, design fees, schedule, and budget
- Engage with clients, consultants, and subject matter experts during development of projects
- Review proposals and construction submittals, answer Requests for Information, and conduct periodic on-site observations of projects under construction
- Prepare documents using computer assisted software
- Perform calculations to inform and support designs
- Perform quality assurance activities
- Maintain proficiency in computer software related to the practice of mechanical engineering
- Pursue continuing education to maintain professional expertise and credentials
- Travel occasionally, as required for project meetings and on-site work
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Advanced degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of mechanical engineering experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience specifically for Department of Defense projects. Mechanical team leadership on Department of Defense projects is a plus. NAVFAC experience is a plus.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
- Additional certifications are a plus (in such areas as specifications writing, energy management, sustainability, energy modeling, cybersecurity, and commissioning).
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S., with no restrictions preventing access to a Government installation.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and verbal, with technical writing proficiency
- Proficient- to expert-level skills in Building Information Modeling (BIM) (Autodesk Revit), AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Trane Trace modeling experience is required.
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Submittals (Construction)