Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
We are seeking a Provider Performance Graduate Intern to join our growing team at Surest™ next summer.
In this position, you will play a key role in enabling the Surest benefit plan by supporting the ongoing improvement and communication of Surest’s provider performance evaluations. The Provider Performance Intern will focus on helping Surest optimize the data the drives the Bind’s unique ability to provide members their cost ahead of any service they receive. This work supports some of the key differentiating assets of Surest, and this position will create an opportunity to learn healthcare data analytics while supporting enhancements to the performance of the Surest plan.
Surest™ was formed in 2016 by veteran insurance innovators passionate about making health insurance personal. They envisioned health insurance that works like the other helpful, clear and useful services of our modern daily lives. Health insurance that gives us immediate answers and clear costs before the point of care. Benefits that allow us to shape our health plan to our changing health needs-our own daily conditions and preferences. A plan that helps us save and helps our employers stop paying for wasted benefits and costly misdirection.
It’s health insurance that works out of the box and in the palm of your hand.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop a robust dashboard with summary-level statistics and support detailed “drill downs” into a specific location or service
- Analyze the impact of provider performance approaches are having on plan results and member decisions
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of clear and concise communications
- Support responding to questions from clients and other stakeholders
- Evaluate the accuracy and impact of new features to the provider performance algorithms
- Support the introduction of new services or provider specialties to the evaluation platform
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in a healthcare related field (MBA, MPH, MHA preferred)
- Will be actively enrolled in a graduate degree program throughout the duration of the internship (at least through the end of August 2023)
- Basic understanding of health care industry concepts
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools
- Experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Excel and developing business intelligence reporting to support strategy development
- Working knowledge of clinical data domains and code sets (CPT, ICD, DRG, etc.)
- Working knowledge of provider directory data
- Knowledge and experience in a healthcare environment with HIPAA requirements
- Deep understanding of health care industry concepts (encounters, episodes, members, cost of care, benefit administration, etc.)
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The hourly range for residents is $31.77 to $56.88. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.