The Donaldson Group, LLC is looking for an exceptional Senior Maintenance Technician for a residential apartment community located in Washington, DC. Ideal candidate must have general knowledge of maintenance, plumbing, minor electrical, drywall repair, HVAC, painting and appliance repair. Five (5) years related experience and/or training in residential property management is required. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. The Donaldson Group believes in a drug free work environment, therefore a drug screen will be required.
THE DONALDSON GROUP
Job Title: Senior Maintenance Technician
Reports To: Maintenance Service Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Maintenance Technician reports directly to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Keep the Donaldson Group Promise, providing the best possible customer experience for clients, residents, vendors, internal associates, etc.
- Conduct all business in adherence to Fair Housing Law.
- Monitor maintenance requests and execute service calls promptly and professionally.
- Ensure that proper care is taken in a resident’s apartment, including clean up and notification of repair.
- Complete tasks in a prompt and professional manner.
- Communicate with, listen and respond to co-workers and customers.
- Greet prospects, residents, vendors and all customers utilizing excellent customer service.
- Lead by example, motivating the entire team to keep the Donaldson Group Promise.
- Respond to resident complaints as directed by Maintenance Supervisor and/or Property Manager.
- Be available for after-hours maintenance service as needed.
- Assist Property Manager and Maintenance Supervisor with planning and execution of resident events.
- Take advantage of opportunities to go above and beyond for all customers.
Maintenance of Physical Asset
- Work to maintain the physical appearance, curb appeal and upkeep of the property.
- Help Maintenance Supervisor with all maintenance projects and repairs.
- Perform and/or supervise electrical maintenance/repairs/replacements such as wiring, appliances, fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc.
- Perform and/or supervise plumbing maintenance/repairs/replacements such as clearing stoppages, replacing fittings and pipe, and repairing disposals.
- Perform and/or supervise appliance maintenance/repairs/replacements on refrigerators, ranges, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, microwaves, etc.
- Perform and/or supervise carpentry repairs/replacements including locks, door knobs, concrete, baseboards, flooring and subflooring, tiling, cabinets, countertops, caulking, windows, doors, shelving, and glass, etc.
- Perform and/or supervise the turnover of apartments in a timely manner.
- Assist in maintenance of general files and recordkeeping procedures.
- Help maintain adequate inventory levels in accordance with the budget, storage and need at the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assist in custodial work (sweeping, mopping, etc.) as needed.
- Assist in grounds maintenance work as needed.
- Promptly relay resident damage information to Maintenance Supervisor and Property Manager for billing.
- Assist with extermination services as needed.
- Diagnose and correct air conditioning and heating deficiencies.
- Perform minor painting and drywall repairs.
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with the upkeep of all property equipment related to maintenance activities including vehicles.
- Maintain tagging and towing of illegally parked or abandoned vehicles.
- Maximize curb appeal by maintaining flower beds, shrubbery, sidewalks, parking lots, fencing, trash enclosures, etc.
- Maintain the cleanliness, safety and appearance of all public areas of the buildings, such as lobbies, hallways, restrooms, stairwells, elevators, etc. as directed.
- Maintain the cleanliness, safety and appearance of all resident common areas such as the community room, kitchen, fitness center, locker room, pool house, business center, laundry rooms, trash disposal rooms, etc. as directed.
- Assist in custodial work—such as dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, stripping/waxing/buffing of floors, washing windows—as needed.
- Remove bulk trash items from property as directed.
- Distribute and pick-up directional signs weekly as instructed.
- Distribute flyers and notices to residents.
- Paint curbs, speed bumps, balconies, doors, etc. as directed.
- Clean out drainage ditches and culverts as needed.
- Perform and document weekly common area light inspection as directed.
- Report major work needed to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assist with evictions as directed.
- Read utility meters as needed.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor and/or Property Manager with special projects as requested and complete other duties as assigned.
Safety & Compliance
- Follow all applicable federal, state, local and company policies.
- Meet OSHA safety standards, by knowing the location and use of:
- SDS Book/“Right to Know” standards.
- First aid kit and eye wash stations.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Lock-out/tag-out kit.
- Other safety programs, training, and equipment as assigned.
- Create a safe and inviting environment for residents, visitors and employees.
- Know the locations of all utility shut-offs, fixture shut-offs, and sewer clean-outs.
- Ensure prompt correction of lighting deficiencies in common areas.
- Inspect storage areas for proper security functions and lighting.
- Maintain the shop and storage areas in a clean, safe, and organized manner.
- Help the Maintenance Supervisor perform semi-annual Carbon monoxide (CO) readings on gas heater units to ensure safe levels.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with arranging and preparing for annual inspection of fire safety equipment.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with arranging and preparing for annual elevator inspections.
- Assist in ensuring that key control measures are strictly followed.
- Ensure prompt removal of snow from all designated areas.
- Be available after hours for emergency and crisis situations.
Planning & Inspection
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with maintaining adequate inventory levels in accordance with budget, storage and need.
- Pre-inspect all units on notice to vacate for turnover scheduling purposes as needed.
- Participate in the preventative maintenance program as directed by Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with maintaining preventative maintenance logs.
- Report major work needed to Maintenance Supervisor and Property Manager.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor and Property Manager with weekly site inspections.
- Help make property ready for and participate in Spring/Fall owner inspections with Property Manager and Maintenance Supervisor as directed.
- Help inspect each turnover apartment to confirm quality of work meets company standards.
- Assist in documenting and photographing resident damage during pre-move out and post-move out inspections.
- Perform or supervise and document weekly common area light inspection as directed.
- Help Maintenance Supervisor perform and record bi-annual apartment inspections.
- Inspect HVAC units & closets, recording condition and changing filters; schedule repairs and/or cleaning as needed.
- Check smoke/CO detectors.
- Look for plumbing leaks and schedule repairs as needed.
- Perform other preventative maintenance checks specific to property (in-unit water heater, balcony, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
A high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is preferred. Two years related experience and/or training in residential property management experience is preferred. Experience in HVAC repair, appliance repair, plumbing, electrical and general maintenance is desirable. The ability to multi-task and maintain a professional appearance and demeanor are a must.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND/OR REGISTRATIONS
HVAC Certification is preferred. The National Housing Association’s Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) designation is desirable.
Good written and verbal communication skills are required. The ability to read and interpret routine correspondence is needed. The ability to speak effectively with co-workers, residents, management, or ownership is necessary.
Outstanding interpersonal skills are needed. The ability to solve practical problems and employ rational decision making skills and common sense is a must. Also necessary is the ability to think and react quickly where only limited standardization or direction exists. Staying calm and thinking clearly while handling high pressure emergency or crisis situations is requisite.
Mathematical skills, such as the ability to apply concepts like fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions are necessary. Also needed is the ability to effectively compute units of money, weight, measurement, volume and distance.
Computer literacy is desirable. Knowledge of MRI and other accounting/property management software is of great benefit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk around the grounds and through buildings, climb stairs, use his or her hands and reach in order to perform repairs or work with tools and/or other equipment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee must also occasionally climb a 40 foot ladder.