Volt is working with a media entertainment giant to find a Database Administrator ( Sybase) in the Glendale CA location. After applying to this Job using the Apply or Apply Now button, you can follow up on your application by calling our Enterprise Delivery Center at (800.595.8658). Be sure to note the Job ID 188857 found on this page and reference it when calling about the position.
Job Title: Database Administrator
Location: Glendale California
Job description :
The DBA reports to the Sr Manager of Technical Operations and will be part of a global DBA team. You will be responsible for various Enterprise databases such as Sybase, Oracle, and MSSQL for our Licensing/Publishing and Creative applications. In addition, you will assist in reviewing schemas and queries for customers of our hosted database solutions with an eye towards assisting those customers to optimize their implementations and develop best-in-class performance for their products.
This position requires a working knowledge of Sybase 15.x or newer, running in Solaris operating system. The day to day tasks includes space and performance monitoring of the database and scheduled tasks. Environment contains automated tasks for system monitoring and remediation through various scripts, so familiarity in shell scripting is a must. This position is very much as an operation DBA and requires additional familiarity with application related processes to support the application team. The rapid ability to troubleshoot and remediate is required. Two major applications are supported by the Sybase database and require support of international users. This system requires 24/7 support with our on-call rotation.
- Configuration, provisioning, upgrading and decommissioning databases.
- Database tuning for optimization and performance
- Monitoring production deployments for capacity issues, performance and troubleshooting
- Actively participate in production database support. Availability for 24X7 on call rotation support.
- Keep abreast of new database capabilities, developments, and products and provide guidance and suggestions for new and improved technologies.
- Keep backups as current as possible and devise restoration techniques with minimal downtime.
- Automation, automation, automation!
- Work with documentation team to ensure any issues effecting functionality are properly reflected in documentation
- Participate in any corporate wide ventures related to security, operations, automation, development, administration and documentation.
- Handle change management operations.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- 2-5 years of hands on experience administering/monitoring Enterprise Databases
- Significant knowledge of multiple Enterprise database technologies such as: Sybase on Solaris, Oracle on Linux, and MSSQL on Windows Server.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux scripting (perl/python/bash)
- Excellent Troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate technical acumen skills within a team of DBAs
- Ability to own a project from start to finish using our 2 weeks sprint agile method
- Thorough understanding of server configuration both hardware and virtualized, and how it affects performance and cost
- Clear understanding of relational and non-relational databases
- Query analysis
- DB Schema design
- TCP dump
- Monitoring skills
- Good scripting skills
- Multi datacenter environments
- Knowledge of cloud operations is a plus
- Knowledge of Virtualization
- High availability and performance tuning techniques
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or engineering equivalent
As a Volt employee, you can expect the highest level of support. We have a long-standing tradition of developing lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with our employees. Contact a Volt representative by applying to this posting online for immediate consideration. Submit your resume today! To learn more about Volt, please visit: http://www.volt.com and to see more of our job postings, please visit: http://jobs.volt.com
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pay Rate is based on experience ( 30- 40/hr)
Perl (Programming Language)
Bash (Scripting Language)