Under the immediate management of the Director of Facilities or Lead Groundskeeper, performs work with a high degree of accuracy and skill maintaining the overall appearance of the hospital grounds, which results in a safe well groomed environment by cutting and edging lawn, trimming, raking, shoveling snow, pruning shrubs and trees. Plants grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs. Communicates with Lead Groundskeeper of any problem areas that need attention.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Maintenance of Campus
- Removes trash and debris from parking area and hospital entrances
- Cuts lawns using powered equipment
- Edges walkways and flower beds using edging tools
- Rakes leaves and removes to appropriate area
- Shovels snow from walkways and entrances
- Prunes shrubs and trees using appropriate powered and non-powered equipment
- Fertilizes lawn, shrubs, trees, and sprays insecticides
- Plants grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs
- Pulls weeds.
- Performs painting as needed in grounds.
B. Safe Operation of Equipment/Vehicles
- Responsible for operating hospital vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner
- Operating all tools in a safe and appropriate manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of methods of Landscaping
- Knowledge of the use and care of motorized equipment and hand/power tools used in grounds maintenance work.
- Knowledge of the proper use of chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides.
- Knowledge of irrigation techniques using sprinklers, hoses and flooding methods
- Ability to follow oral instructions and read written instructions
- Ability to use hand tools, operate motorized equipment and vehicles such as cars, trucks and vans.
- Ability to Bend or stoop repeatedly over time.
Core Competencies: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Ethics & Values
Integrity & Trust
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent is preferred but not required.
- 2 years experience working in Landscaping
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Work involves standing and walking for the majority of the day, and requires frequent bending, twisting, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
- Majority of work is performed outside during all seasons and all weather conditions to include extreme cold and heat.
- Will require frequent climbing to 5-10 feet, occasionally over 15 feet.
- Will require frequent pushing/pulling of up to 50 lbs.
- Will require frequent lifting of up to 10lbs, with occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Exposure to loud noises, chemicals, odors, fumes, moving and mechanical parts, with use of PPE required.
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.
Looking for an opportunity to work in healthcare the way you always dreamed you could? At Antelope Valley Hospital, our employees are at the heart of what we do best – delivering high quality, patient-centered healthcare.
Antelope Valley Hospital, a 420 bed acute care facility, located just 60 miles north of Los Angeles, the Antelope Valley is one of Southern California’s fastest growing communities. We are a Level II Trauma Center and Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Accredited. Serving the community for over 50 years, our non-profit hospital has grown to be the preeminent healthcare facility for our district’s nearly 1.2 million residents.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.