Role: Database Engineer
Location: McLean, VA
Schedule: 40 hours / week
Overview: Apex Systems, the nation’s second largest IT staffing and technology services firm, has an immediate opening for a Database Engineer to sit on-site in McLean, VA.
If interested, please email your resume to Madeline Joy at Email blocked - click to apply.
Candidates must be eligible to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
Our client is seeking a Senior Database Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. The qualified applicant will become part of our clients newly won Program, for the Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA). This initiative is intended to modernize and consolidate the operational environment under a common technology framework in order to better support the services provided to CA’s customers.
As part of the modernization program, the senior database engineer will be responsible for the design, development, installation, and maintenance of database management systems to include data definition, data modeling, design and implementation, security, and monitoring.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the system engineering team to understand customer business needs and priorities
- Define system and technical requirements, including both functional and non-functional, to support database management system development within the SAFe Agile methodology
- Develop conceptual, logical, and physical designs for database solutions
- Develop and maintain database solutions for managing structured and unstructured data
- Develop and maintain database solutions for data ingestion (batch and streaming)
- Develop and maintain database scripts supporting ETL processes and functions
- Monitor and tune database solutions for optimal performance
- Develop and maintain secure database solutions that are compliant with DISA STIG and NIST specifications (security controls)
- Develop automated tests that can be incorporated into CI/CD pipeline
- Support CI/CD initiatives and utilize static code analyzers to ensure high quality source code
- Author clear documentation for database solutions, including data dictionaries, data catalogs, and design artifacts
- Integrate database solutions with the software applications and/or platforms
- Support software testing activities, including IV&V, and provide timely software defect resolutions
- Monitor production and non-production database solutions for performance and troubleshoot issues as required
- Provide production and operational support, as needed, to ensure deployed database solutions meet functional and non-functional requirements
- Develop and maintain backup/restore solutions to support production and non-production database solutions
- Experience in software development and maintenance projects with involvement in requirements management, technical design/development, and deployment steps within SDLC
- Experience supporting database engineering activities for software projects specializing in development of enterprise web applications within a SAFe Agile environment
- Experience designing database solutions using conceptual, logical, and physical diagrams.
- Experience with developing database solutions involving storage of structured and unstructured data, data ingestion via batch and streaming, and ETL processes
- Experience with developing relational database management systems (RDBMS) using Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Microsoft SQL Server)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Experience in enterprise software system modernization efforts
- Experience in cloud based environments including the development of database solutions that are based on a hybrid-cloud architecture
- Experience developing database solutions for high volume, highly available, and secure software systems
- Experience developing database solutions in a secure environment that are required to meet DISA STIG and NIST specifications (security controls)
- Experience developing database solutions in an incremental manner using the SAFe Agile methodology
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline.
5 years’ experience
***As a contract employee of Apex Systems, you are eligible for Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance; Shorter Term Disability; Hospitalization Coverage; Direct Deposit; Weekly Pay Periods; Training and Development Programs; Corporate Discounts / Perks and our Referral Program.
***Apex Systems is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178
Database Management Systems
Relational Database Management Systems
Data Definition Language