Lockwood Hills, LLC, an Akima Company, provides critical mission support services for federal civilian and military operations. With four areas of proven expertise, Lockwood Hills can conquer the operational challenges of any federal mission from remote installations stateside to secure locations overseas. Our work includes safeguarding vital installations and personnel, maintaining and modifying aircraft, keeping operations on track with integrated logistics, and driving business with records management and administrative support services. Our personnel enjoy competitive benefits packages and challenging roles in work environments committed to safety, diversity and opportunity for career growth. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), 100% of our company’s profits go back to our 14,300 Iñupiat shareholders that have resided near and above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years. Our business helps support their way of life and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived in a challenging environment.
- Performs the full range of repair, rebuild, overhaul and modification of the largest and more complex Government owned heavy mobile equipment, having integrated/interconnected engine systems; for example, armored fighting vehicles (AFVs), locomotive engines, cranes (mobile cranes, portal cranes, locomotive cranes, floating cranes ,and similar), weight and material handling equipment, aerial work platforms, larger construction trucks with diesel engines, large diesel electric generators, and similarly complex heavy mobile equipment used for construction, earth moving, ship loading, and comparable major industrial or special applications.
- May provide guidance/oversight over the work of one or more lower-graded mechanics and/or helpers. Has overall responsibility for a variety of systems for the entire vehicle. Disassembles, inspects, assembles large/complex engines (e.g., up to 16 cylinders and 2000hp).
- Replaces and fits parts as necessary to close tolerance specifications, (such as, sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, gears, valves, cams, crankshafts), overhauling components (such as, fuel injection systems, injectors, blowers, turbo-chargers, governors, compressors, hydraulic pumps, etc.).
- On cranes, disassembles, repairs and overhauls gear cases, winch works, hydraulic systems, sheaves and hooks, chains, and control systems, and tests and adjusts as necessary.
- Repairs, overhauls or rebuilds large, (e.g., 12-cylinder, 1,000 H.P) gasoline or diesel engines requiring a great degree of skill in making difficult and unusually precise repairing, fitting and adjusting of moving parts, engines with pistons which directly power multiple hydraulic and interconnected engine system.
- The work requires great skill in making difficult, precise fittings and adjustments of moving parts to clearances of one ten-thousandth of an inch or closer, such as in intricate fuel injection systems.
- Repairs and overhauls transmissions, gear type, automatic and manual transmissions with braking, steering and differential systems mechanically integrated, such as cross drive or similar multi-system transmissions.
- Overhauls a variety of intricate fuel injection systems and diagnoses difficult performance problems and improvises replacement, assembly, repair, and troubleshooting techniques when standard procedures do not suffice.
- Manufactures by machining, honing, lapping difficult, precise fittings and adjustments of moving parts, altering parts to fit and mesh in systems for which the parts were not designed. Modifies and fabricates necessary parts to complete the necessary repair, rebuild or overhaul of equipment, vehicles and engines.
- Applies extensive knowledge of the principles behind the operation of heavy mobile , along with high skill in the use of diagnostic equipment to determine reasons for mechanical defects or mechanical performance problems in the absence of technical guidelines.
- Conducts tests using diagnostic equipment, including computer-controlled test equipment, to identify problems which are difficult to locate and repair. Alters, improvises, or modifies to make items work properly and/or improve performance.
- May work in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. The work requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching.
- Employee works on top of, under, and in tight compartments of vehicles in cramped or awkward positions. Performs strenuous work while standing, lying, or sitting.
- Frequently lifts and carries items, unassisted, weighing up to 40 pounds, and often exerts similar effort in pushing, pulling, and positioning parts, assemblies, and equipment.
- Frequently lifts and moves heavier items with assistance of other workers or with lifting devices such as jacks, hoists, and cranes.
- Is sometimes required to work from ladders or work platforms at varying heights.
- Work is performed both inside and outside. When inside, is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise. When outside, may work in bad weather. Both inside and outside, workers are exposed to irritations and discomfort from dust, grease, heat, and fumes.
- Is subject to cuts, burns, chemical irritations, bruises, electrical shock, and injuries from falls while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment.
- Follows prescribed safety practices and uses safety equipment such as hearing protection, hard hats, hard-toe shoes, gloves, respirators, fall protection and protective clothing.
- Valid state CDL that authorizes the holder to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.
- Minimum of five-years of Heavy Mobile Equipment/Vehicle Mechanic maintenance experience.
- ASE Certification as an Automobile Technician or equivalent relevant experience as a heavy equipment mechanic.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment or alone.
- Ability to understand and have working knowledge of hazardous, safety, and environmental warnings.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to understand maintenance manuals and instructions.
- General knowledge of maintenance and construction trades.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be able to provide own basic hand tools.
- Able to perform the duties of this position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a National Agency Check Investigation (NACI) clearance.
- Must operate all equipment and/or vehicles maintained, repaired, overhauled or modified, when work is completed. Knowledge and skill to repair, overhaul, or rebuild large/complex transmissions which have braking, steering, and differential systems mechanically integrated with the transmission; engines such as, 12-cylinder and 1,000 hp engines.
- Skill in performing difficult and unusually precise repairing, fitting and adjusting of moving parts, engines with pistons which directly power multiple hydraulic and interconnected engine system, e.g., making difficult, precise fittings and adjustments of moving parts to clearances of one ten-thousandth of an inch or closer, such as in intricate fuel injection systems.
- Knowledge and skill in the repair, maintenance and overhaul of complex vehicles having interconnected systems, such as, integrated electric, air, and hydraulic systems; complex state-of-the-art electrical and electronic systems; intricate timing requirements such as dual engines or complex fuel injections systems, e.g., those with several injectors which have precise timing sequences; numerous interconnected gear-reduction systems; and/or other similarly complex systems.
- Skill in the use of diagnostic equipment, including computer-controlled test equipment, to identify problems which are difficult to locate and repair. Skill to develop or improvise methods, alter parts, and make repairs in the absence of technical guidelines.
- Satisfactorily completes prescribed courses associated with maintenance, inspection, testing and certification of certified equipment such as cranes, aerial work platforms and vertical transportation equipment.
- The Contractor is required to read and follow Service, Maintenance and Operations Manuals to ensure correct adjustment, repair and operation of complex equipment. In compiling replacement parts orders from assembly drawings, blueprints and mechanical drawings in replacement parts books, must have a complete knowledge of the required material to accomplish specific repair, overhaul or modification work. Required to operationally test construction and weight handling equipment to verify repairs or adjustments. Required to obtain Class B Commercial Drivers’ License with P (passenger), N (tank), and T (trailer) endorsements for operations of a field maintenance vehicle and for the purpose of diagnosing problems, field testing, and verifying that repairs are satisfactory. Contract will receive On the Job Training (OJT) for operation of Aerial Work Platforms.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description generally cover the nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Subject to the terms of an applicable collective bargaining agreement, the company management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as may be necessary. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position please contact, Recruiting Services at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic or
. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance to apply to an open position using our website.
Please do not use the dedicated email or phone number above to inquire on the status of your job application.
In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance with the online application.Shift:
Day JobPrimary Location:
Lockwood Hills Federal, LLCJob:
Installation, Maintenance & RepairSchedule: Closing Date(Period for Applying) - External: