Are you looking for more?
At Mohawk Industries, we’re committed to more – more customer solutions, more process improvements, more sustainable manufacturing and more opportunities for our team.
As a Fortune 500, global flooring leader with some of the best-known brands in the industry, Mohawk is a great place to start or develop your career with an emphasis on more of what’s important to you. Whether you want to lead more, innovate more, learn more or create more, you can find your more with Mohawk.
Responsible for the effective sourcing, negotiation, purchasing, and inventory management of indirect (MRO) materials and spare parts in a multi-site manufacturing environment. Helps define and implement MRO and storeroom strategy in a large, growing, high-volume industrial setting. Oversees, standardizes, and continually improves storeroom activities including buying, receiving, inventory controls, physical inventory counts, safety standards, and resource planning to ensure accurate, in-stock inventory and timely issue resolution. Collaborates with corporate purchasing team and leads interactions with suppliers and other departments to identify and capture cost savings productivity opportunities. Gathers, analyzes, and reports data in pursuit of best-in-class purchasing and inventory management.
Major Functions and Scope:
- Complies with all company safety rules and procedures, identifies and helps fix hazards, leads safety by example.
- Actively leads and manages the sourcing, purchasing, and negotiations with a focus on cost reduction, consistent high-quality, mutual efficiencies, and long-term synergies in the following categories:
- MRO Spare parts laminate & wood (2 plants in Thomasville, NC, 1 plant in Garner, NC, 1 plant in Danville, VA)
- Laminate forklift fleet contracts (excluding distribution lifts)
- Manages MRO Team and storerooms in Thomasville facility and their support of other Laminate & Wood sites in purchasing, buying, receiving, warehousing, and cycle counting of spare parts and non-stock MRO purchases with the objectives of streamlining workflow, reducing errors, improving efficiency, and resolving issues that arise at the root cause level.
- Helps define and then carries out storeroom strategy as it supports production and maintenance for optimal benefit to the business as a whole.
- Leads team following SQDC management model, tracking and reporting on relevant metrics (as defined), driving toward best-in-class/fit-for-purpose support of the maintenance and production teams.
- Ensures all corporate finance requirements for spare parts cycle counting are met in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Proactively identifies and initiates productivity projects within the area of responsibility, targeting a quarter million annually (or as defined). Collaborates with other Flooring North America and Daltile facilities to capitalize on strategic synergies across multiple Mohawk facilities to drive improved costs.
- Captures market-driven cost-saving opportunities through awareness of market drivers, reverse auctions, and synergistic opportunities while simultaneously improving quality and operating efficiencies.
- Prepares and sends purchase orders, defines and leads purchasing structure for optimal efficiency and long-term effectiveness.
- Manages and oversees forklift and similar capital equipment rentals, leases, and contracts for multiple sites.
- Supports Mohawk FNA corporate purchasing priorities, including the Store Room Optimization Project and collective sourcing initiatives.
- Proactively manages supplier relationships, meeting regularly and providing data-driven feedback on supplier performance and quality. Works with other departments to ensure relationships meet holistic needs at the lowest total cost of ownership.
- Assists purchasing director in data gathering, analysis, and collaborating in purchasing decisions of key spare parts and processes.
- Proposes and helps lead projects, including Kaizen Events, related to reducing waste and improving quality using LEAN tools and a data-driven approach.
- Learns suppliers’ processes at a technical level in order to better identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Ensures the department keeps internal computer systems up to date with regard to pricing, new product details, necessary historical records, etc.
- Maintains a holistic view in every purchasing decision or recommendation, protecting the interests of the company and balancing short-term and long-term benefits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience, and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree with strong quantitative and technical aptitude, or associate’s degree with at least 5 years of manufacturing experience in an operations, supply chain, or purchasing-related role.
- Minimum 3 years related purchasing or operations experience; experience with technical parts and factory store rooms strongly preferred.
- Ability to identify and carry out safe, common-sense solutions to tactical challenges in a large industrial setting.
- Excellent data analysis skills with attention to detail. Ability to collect, analyze, and report data in a concise, accurate, well organized form.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate on a professional level verbally and in writing about technical issues, product specifications, etc. Ability to identify and pursue an opportunity and also close a deal.
- Strong technical aptitude and quantitative skills
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to track details of multiple projects at multiple stages without getting lost in the details.
- Self-directed, pro-active, get-it-done approach, driven to work with and through others to find and deliver results on time.
- Positive attitude, team player approach, and demonstrated record of high dependability.
- Proficient computer skills – strong Excel skills; SAP experience preferred but not mandatory.
- Natural propensity for a challenge and to be a part of a winning team
- Ideal candidate will have an inner drive to continually learn and improve; a constant dissatisfaction with the status quo and the self-confidence to work with others to find and develop new, better solutions are key attributes for success in this position.
Mohawk Industries is a leading global flooring manufacturer that creates products to enhance residential and commercial spaces around the world. Mohawk’s vertically integrated manufacturing and distribution processes provide competitive advantages in the production of carpet, rugs, ceramic tile, laminate, wood, stone and vinyl flooring. Our industry-leading innovation has yielded products and technologies that differentiate our brands in the marketplace and satisfy all remodeling and new construction requirements. Our brands are among the most recognized in the industry and include American Olean, Daltile, Durkan, IVC, Karastan, Marazzi, Mohawk, Mohawk Home, Pergo, and Quick-Step. During the past decade, Mohawk has transformed its business from an American carpet manufacturer into the world’s largest flooring company with operations in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Europe, India, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.
Mohawk Industries, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability/veteran committed to an inclusive workplace and a proud Drugs Don’t Work participant.
- Attention To Detail
- Continuous Quality Improvement (Cqi)
- Corporate Finance
- Data Analysis