Tribune Publishing is looking to hire part-time Editorial News Page Designers to work for our Design and Production Studio (DPS), home to all print design for Tribune Publishing's award-winning newspapers across the country. The team is fully remote but must reside in a state noted below. This is a posting for future part-time openings on the team.
Duties for our News Page Designers (Print Production Specialists) may vary within the team. Depending on the team's needs, a Print Production Specialist's main responsibility may include but are not limited to preparing articles, photos and designs for publication in Tribune print newspapers; proofing and typesetting newspaper pages for all Tribune newspapers; and editing and designing content to be shared across all Tribune Publishing newspapers.
Successful Print Production Specialists will possess initiative, good news judgment, attention to detail, incredible organizational skills and a commitment to accuracy. Print Production Specialists must be able to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with minimal-to-moderate supervision in a remote work environment. Additionally, a Print Production Specialist should have some combination of a strong command of the English language, as well as editing and design skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques and the style of the publication.
Tribune Publishing is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that's the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
This role can be based in any of these states: CA, CT, FL, IL, IN, MD, MI, MO, NJ, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA
Depending on the team's needs, a Print Production Specialist's main responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
* Being fast and accurate: Always striving to provide readers with what we know, when we know it. Be transparent about sources of information.
* Editing and designing newspaper pages with an eye toward accuracy and readability' checking for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy in high impact elements; proofreading others' work; and writing headlines, captions and refers appearing in all Tribune Publishing newspapers.
* Occasionally working with reporters and editors.
* Designing pages, packages and modules using newsroom's content management systems, Newscycle, and outside software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Intellitune and Illustrator.
* Resource system to optimize production.
* Employing creativity to present all information in easy-to-read, visually appealing, informative and energetic design.
* Conceiving, creating, editing or producing various types of content. Depending on department, this may include maps, timelines, documents and graphics.
* Editing photos: pulling photos from wires and other sources; cropping and toning photos for publication.
* Meeting production deadlines and maintaining ideal page flow under minimal to moderate supervision.
* Employing creativity and independent news judgment to text editing, designing, photo editing, and otherwise preparing work for publication.
* Striving to meet specific individual goals to be assigned on a regular basis by supervisor.
This Could be a Match if You have…
* A minimum of one year editing and design experience at a news publication, and a solid understanding of design basics.
* Excellent knowledge of AP Style.
* Experience writing strong, accurate print headlines.
* Awe-inspiring organizational skills and news judgment.
* Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline-driven remote environment.
* Ability to foster excellent communication and collaboration with peers, supervisor(s), department and newsrooms.
* Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately - with clarity, without bias.
* Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
* Familiarity with computers and text editing software
* Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Tribune Publishing Company is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Virginia's Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and the Daily Meal.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
- Ap Stylebook
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe In Design
- Adobe Photoshop
- Attention To Detail