Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is the local affiliate of the national organization, Volunteers of America, Inc. and is one of the largest providers of human services in the metropolitan New York area. Founded in New York City in 1896 as a charity staffed by volunteers tending to the city’s poor, today VOA-Greater New York has 1,300 paid staff that provide life-changing, often life-saving services through 80 programs in New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-Greater New York services extend to survivors of domestic violence; individuals and families — including veterans — experiencing, or at risk of homelessness; people living with HIV/ AIDS, behavioral health, and substance use issues; adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities; preschoolers with developmental delays; older adults on limited incomes, many with a history of homelessness; and at-risk youth.
VOA-Greater New York expands, and introduces new services in response to community needs. As such, it is at the forefront of building affordable, supportive housing for seniors; providing a service-rich continuum of care for formerly homeless veterans; and expanding its services for those recovering from domestic violence. Battle Buddy Bridge®, a peer counseling program for veterans, and the work VOA-Greater New York is doing to raise awareness of the impact of Moral Injury, are examples of the organization’s responsiveness, creativity and life-altering work.
Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC. Operation Backpack® is the organization’s signature community service campaign that ensures every student who calls a NYC shelter “home” has a new backpack full of supplies in time for the first day of school.
The recreation assistant is responsible for the direct supervision of the clients in their assigned area, and for enforcing applicable rules and providing assistance as needed.
Two years of college and one year of related experience or high school diploma and two years of related experience.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Assist with the implementation of scheduled recreational activities and motivate client participation in the recreation program.
2. Monitor the recreational activities to ensure compliance with established regulations.
3. Present appropriate role model for client behavior and comply with relevant policies and procedures of Volunteers of America.
4. De-escalate conflicts among the client population through non-violent intervention.
5. Instruct and demonstrate to groups and individuals the basic rules and finer points of various sports.
6. Issue, collect and account for recreation equipment.
7. Identify and refer those consumers who require medical, social services, and/or other program services to appropriate personnel.
8. Perform other related duties as requested.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
1. Clients are engaged participants in our recreation programs.
2. Classroom activities are monitored.
3. Learning and growth are promoted.
4. Conflicts are resolved using non-violent intervention and tactics.
5. Student progress is monitored.
6. Equipment are clean and accounted for in inventory.
7. Daily activities are scheduled appropriately.
8. All other related tasks are completed on time and accurately.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in a housing shelter environment.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers, clients and/or vendors. This is an active position and requires sitting, standing, bending and walking. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a full-time position.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories. Other details
- Job Family Childcare & Recreation
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Friday, January 8, 2021
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Recreation Assistant (SFN256)