Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Director of Software Services and Access Technologies position is responsible for Information Technology (IT) Division's Application Development, Web Services, Robotic Process Automation, Epic Cadence and Epic Grand Central strategic and operational initiatives. Works closely with Marketing, Revenue Cycle, Physician Organization, Business Development, and Administration leadership and staff in determining how technology might assist in addressing needs and supporting the organization's key business objectives. Translates organizational needs into system requirements and design specifications. Serves as project director for major business systems initiatives. Assures that each assigned department's goals are accomplished and in line with strategic initiatives. Serves as a resource in evaluating policy and strategy for information technology.
The Director has accountability of consumer, patient, physician and employee facing technologies and associated supporting software and hardware technologies including front-end and back-end systems. Strong focus around the consumer and patient digital front door to include HoustonMethdodist.org, MyMethodist App and associated patient access technologies and solutions supporting the digital front door experience. Technology platforms include Sitecore, SharePoint, .NET., Epic (Cadence and Grand Central), CRM, mobile indoor wayfinding, RTLS, digital display signage, digital workplace solutions, and other enterprise software solutions.
The Director position responsibilities include overseeing the activities of the department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency to accomplish strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for employee engagement, adequate staffing levels, budget development and compliance, staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety.
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards.
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words).
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met.
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are "Essential Functions" of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
2. Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
3. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
4. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
5. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
6. Fosters collaboration, strategic alignment, integrated planning and execution across different functions in a matrix organization. (EF)
7. Inspires enterprise wide support of initiatives and drives cross functional teamwork to achieve results on time and within budget. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Collaborates with IT leadership and business stakeholders to establish the strategy and roadmap for WOW's enterprise information systems in alignment with the current and future needs of the business. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peer-to-peer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
4. Proactively identifies issues concerning technical limitations and key product requirements and drives solutions. (EF)
FINANCE - 25%
1. Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a cost-effective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Develop and manage the product portfolio roadmap and scope opportunities and obtain appropriate funding. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ system-directed activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
2. Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
3. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
4. Apply broad knowledge of our product/service capabilities to identify new product areas, new technology, and emerging product/service opportunities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor's degree required
o Master's degree preferred
o 10 years IT experience to include five years management experience.
o For internal candidates, three years management experience with Houston Methodist performance that demonstrates leadership responsibility.
o Experience with a variety of methodologies such as Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Scrum and Agile Development, and Software as a Service (SaaS) based software delivery.
o Experience with project augmentation strategies preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification or equivalent preferred.
o Agile scrum alliance or Scrum Master preferred.
o Epic Certification preferred.
o Technical certifications preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved.
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills.
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences.
o Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department; stays abreast of industry changes.
o Demonstrates highly effective communication skills, strong written communications and platform presentation abilities.
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace.
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership.
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented.
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software.
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor.
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information.
o Must enjoy Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery while understanding that Agile doesn't mean you can skip planning and that planning and Agile can coexist in harmony.
o Possess a craftsman's pride in the code the team delivers. Prioritizes and values quality over quantity, but is not a perfectionist and understands that ultimately the code must meet the needs of the business.
o Must demonstrate an insatiable hunger for solving complex problems in simple and intuitive ways.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.