ACT is a nonprofit organization helping people achieve educational and workplace success. Our programs are designed to boost lifelong learning in schools and workplaces around the world. Whether it's guiding students along their learning paths, enabling companies to develop their workforce, fostering parent, teacher, and counselor understanding of student progress, guiding job seekers toward career success, or informing policymakers about education and workforce issues. ACT is passionate about making a difference in all we do.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!Responsibilities
Act as the technical system administrator for Monitoring and Event Management tools supported by the System Administration team
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Typical work-related activities include:
- Drive the monitoring and event management strategy and processes across ACT's IT organization.
- Create and maintain the monitoring and event management roadmap, including regular system maintenance, introduction of new processes and functionality, and retirement of old systems and processes.
- Maintain, enhance, and support various applications including communication of the overall health of the systems
- Analyze problems and provide technical solutions by communicating efficiently and effectively with infrastructure and development staff as well as business users regarding their application needs.
- Act as a resource for infrastructure staff, development staff, and business users to help them better understand the tools.
- Plan, research, and lead projects and upgrade implementations including assisting with testing, releases, and maintenance
- Act as a liaison with vendor support issues
- Develop automated processes where possible to support monitoring and event management.
- Willing to work outside of traditional hours for IT Maintenance activities or on call needs.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area required; preferably in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Information Systems
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive IT experience, including preferably two years' experience administering applications or servers
- Experience with Python, and shell scripting preferred
- Experience with Linux/Unix Administration, working with APIs and/or tool administration with one or more of the following: Splunk, Nagios, or New Relic monitoring tools
- Experience automating routine tasks
- Experience with the following is preferred but not required:
- Python and shell scripting
- Apache/Nginx/Web Server
- Nexus Repository Manager
- Play Application
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to create a plan and drive it to completion
- Results-oriented and able to work across the organization as an individual contributor
- Should be comfortable working in a rapidly transforming organization
- Interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
- Technically proficient in assigned IT discipline(s)
- Ability to manage workload with minimal direction
- Ability to troubleshoot issues with little guidance and coordinate to resolution while providing timely communication to those impacted