The LPN/LVN administers nursing care according to the plan of care to terminally ill patients admitted to the VITAS program, in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act in the State where the VITAS program is located.
- Provides direct skilled bedside nursing care.
- Evaluates patient/family needs and assists in the preparation and execution of the interdisciplinary plan of care for each patient on the team.
- Performs selected acts in the care of the terminally ill under the supervision of a registered nurse; such acts include the administration of treatments and medications.
- Evaluates effectiveness of treatments and monitors patient’s reactions.
- Reports significant findings or changes in the patient’s condition to the registered nurse, Team Manager or Physician. Documents reports in clinical notes.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment for the patient and family.
- Maintain accurate documentation including but not limited to clinical notes on interdisciplinary charts.
- Evaluates patient/family response to care.
- Utilizes a wide variety of supportive and technical nursing skills in carrying out specific medical orders for administration of medication, performing specific treatments, monitoring diagnostic, therapeutic, and supportive measures.
- Assists the interdisciplinary team in the designing and delivering of interdisciplinary plan of care.
- Establishes therapeutic relationship with patients/families and invites their participation in the plan of care to ensure, as much as possible, their being able to function as independently as possible.
- Initiates and performs nursing protocols based on patient's needs relating to physical comfort and mental well-being which include, but are not limited to, positioning, mobilizing, bowel and bladder elimination, skin and wound care, personal hygiene and communication.
- Participates in patient/family teaching during daily care relative to understanding the illness and its treatment; maintaining of activities of daily living; self-care and self- medication, prevention and recognition of complications and preparation for discharge and follow-up.
- Plans and carries out a program of professional growth including, but not limited to, participating in regularly scheduled in-service programs and appropriate community educational offerings.
- Cooperates with education and research activities as assigned.
1. Participates in Nurse LPN/LVN on-call rotation/schedule as assigned in order to meet the needs of patients and families.
2. Is willing to work on flexible schedule, i.e., weekends or rotating shifts.
Must have and maintain transportation to be used for work with required liability insurance and license.
1. Graduate of an approved school of Practical/Vocational nursing.
2. Currently licensed to practice nursing in the state where the VITAS program is located.
3. At least one year of satisfactory nursing experience, at least one year of which is an LPN/LVN in a hospital on an adult medical surgical unit.
4. Equivalent experience may be considered.
RESTRICTIVE GUIDELINES IN CARE DELIVERY
1. Does NOT make initial patient nursing care assessments.
2. Supervised by a Registered Nurse
3. Reports to the applicable Team Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described in this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to:
• Assist in lifting and transferring patients, as required.
• Lift objects in excess of 20 pounds
• Stand or walk in excess of one hour per day
• Talk and hear
Specific vision abilities required by this job include:
• Close vision
• Distance vision
• Ability to adjust focus
The employee will be required to sit and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
VITAS® Healthcare is the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care, and has the resources and expertise to support your personal and professional growth. As a member of the VITAS team, you’ll find fulfillment working for a people-focused organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of others. You will be more than just an employee: You will be counted on as an expert in your field, and as a valued team member whose efforts are respected and vital to our hospice mission.
All VITAS employees commit to fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with the highest regard for professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, and an eye focused constantly on growth and improvement. We serve with commitment and compassion, and position ourselves for the future by embracing, innovating, and leading change. If you are that person, make your voice heard—find your purpose at VITAS today.
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with numerous investment options and generous company match
- Cancer and/or critical illness benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Affinity Program
Many of our positions offer the opportunity to work day or night shifts, weekdays or weekends.
Choose a Career with VITAS
- Activities Of Daily Living (Ad Ls)
- Certified Gastroenterology Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurse
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Works
- Diseases And Disorders