Engineer, Process Automation
Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The company is vertically integrated from mining through iron making, steelmaking, rolling, finishing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components.
As an Engineer at Cleveland-Cliffs Steel Indiana Harbor facility, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career.
The Automation Engineer will work directly with a large variety of computers, instrumentation and related control equipment which includes:
- Real-time computer control and monitoring of steel mill processes including maintenance of computer hardware and software, design and installation of new computer control systems and modernization of existing systems.
- Operating system, database, networking technologies, high-speed data transmission and specialty interfaces.
- Complex measurement systems such as vision systems for product quality, thermal imaging temperature measurements, RFID and barcode tag reading for product identification, electro-magnetics for steel level detection, and nuclear gauges for moisture, molten steel level, bin level, strip thickness and coating thickness gauges, etc.
- Control equipment such as closed-loop control systems, programmable logic controllers, and specialty microprocessors for the control of steel mill processes.
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of computer models for mill processes of a chemical, metallurgical or mechanical nature.
As an Automation Engineer work assignments may include:
- System Support Activities – maintenance and problem solving of all aspects of the automation system. Modifications to the automation system to adapt to new products, changes in raw materials, or to implement new ideas for continuous improvement to the manufacturing process.
- Projects - assignments on new installation or modernization projects with participation in activities such as planning, engineering design, hardware configuration, software design, development and testing, and new system start-up.
- Operating Departments - assignment to support system within an Operational area of the plant. Assignment will include significant field work solving problems associated with the automation or the process. Provide documentation and training of Operations and Maintenance staff.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [ Email address blocked ] or call
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in electrical or computer engineering
- Two years of experience in industrial electrical, communication or computer field.
- Knowledge of process control systems, including PLC systems, drives, PID loop control systems, computer applications, controls systems communication strategies, and computer networking.
- Work effectively in a diverse team environment with different skill levels and perspectives.
- Understand manufacturing processes and effectively communication with the operators running them to develop improvement ideas.
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Computer Control Systems
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Manufacturing Processes
- Installations (Manual/Mechanical)
- Computer Networks
- Process Control