To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Minneapolis, MN
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Food Law Counsel
General Mills Inc. • Minneapolis, MN
Posted 2 months ago
General Mills is reshaping the future of food. We believe food makes us better. It nourishes our bodies, brings us joy and connects us to each other. As one of the world's leading food companies, General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Yoplait, Annie's Homegrown, Old El Paso, Epic Provisions, Blue Buffalo and more. Are you passionate about the future of food? You've come to the right table. We want the very best talent to help lead something big.Job Overview
General Mills is seeking a Food Law Counsel in Minneapolis, MN. The Food Law Counsel will advise the business on US FDA food law requirements. The Food Law Counsel will handle a complete range of FDA food law issues, including:
- Product claims, such as health claims, nutrient content claims, structure-function claims and other claims subject to the general misbranding provisions of the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act (Act)
- Labeling requirements, including nutrition labeling and the other basic requirements of § 403 of the Act
- Requirements for the use of and labeling of ingredients, including food additives, GRAS substances, flavors, color additives and incidental additives
- Food safety issues related to GMPs, FSMA and the general adulteration provisions in § 402 of the Act
- Interactions with FDA, including those related to inspections and recalls
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Participate as the Law Department representative on cross-functional teams
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the company’s businesses and business practices;
- Engage in a proactive style of legal practice to best serve the business
- Serve as an expert resource for Law Department, regulatory and business colleagues
- Undertake additional responsibilities as determined from time to time
- Travel as required to represent the interests of General Mills
The successful candidate for this position must have the following educational background, skills and professional experience:
- Graduation from a quality law school with superior academic accomplishment
- 5-8 years of experience working for a law firm, a company or the FDA
- A strong interest in learning and specializing in food law
- Ability to evaluate scientific and safety data and information to communicate effectively with regulatory clients
- Experience and ability to identify issues and provide advice on non-routine matters
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Practical and creative problem analysis and resolution skills
- Excellent business judgment with the ability to make decisions and provide advice that demonstrates an understanding of overall business objectives and the risk/reward of each option
- Maturity and strong leadership skills, with the ability to articulate positions and provide direction
- Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one state
To qualify for this position, the successful candidate must possess the following personal characteristics:
- A commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards
- Strong executive “presence” and the ability to quickly gain the confidence of clients, enhanced by a strong sense of teamwork and outstanding people skills
- A high level of energy and self-motivation