Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
The ABB's Process Industries (PI) team engineers and delivers automation solutions from device to monitoring and control, ensuring our customers get the most out of their investment. Our digitalization solutions help improve plant and enterprise productivity, while reducing maintenance and energy costs. Deep domain knowledge enables us to truly understand and address the challenges and opportunities of Industrial Automation (IA).
The quality and innovation of the engineering in our products, systems and service offerings keeps our customers ahead. Developing solutions for our customers all over the world and working on our market-leading technologies will challenge and enrich your work and your mind.
ABB Hybrid IA-PI in Warminster, Pennsylvania or Columbus, Ohio supplies integrated control solutions for OEMs and variety of industries, including Data Centers, Printing and Food/Beverage. We use ABB controls, Human Machine Interface (HMI) software and hardware, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) and other ABB and 3rd party controls components. The ABB Hybrid IA-PI group provides services including front end process control and electrical control definition, design and implementation of process control and electrical control solutions including both applications programming and control panel design and site installation and commissioning services.
The role reports to the Engineering Manager. As a Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for providing a hands-on technical support role under the direction of an Engineering Manager and Project Manager to perform standard engineering practices, using engineering principles, on all phases of project execution. Your responsibilities
- Technically responsible design and execution for assigned automation projects from kick-off through start up. Will focus on documentation process, working with AutoCAD drawings, generating Bill of materials (BoMs), familiar with panel layout and general engineering logistics.
- The successful candidate will lead the design and engineering project activities needed to develop an integrated process and electrical control solution to meet customer requirements. This includes interpretation of control points lists, customer drawings and schematics, P&IDs, electrical one-lines, and other customer specifications; aid in development of a complete controls package submittal including electrical design and sequence of operations; programming controller and HMI applications using various ABB and 3rd party control/PLC systems with IEC 61131 programming languages; configuring associated HMI terminals; designing field communications with a variety of industry standard bus protocols; applying an understanding of Ethernet networked devices to design control related networks; and working with VFD drives, motors, and related controls for these devices to be integrated into a packaged solution. This is all hands-on work.
- Detailed engineering documentation generation is a requirement of every project. The successful candidate must be able to work with designers to develop a complete controls package submittal for each project as well as as-installed documentation: schematic and functional drawings, BoMs, As-Builts, alternative parts selection, Operate and Maintenance (O&M) manuals and coordination with other engineering sites.
- The successful candidate will also support system test, installation, startup, commissioning and customer training of the integrated systems. The successful candidate will lead project technical design and clarification meetings. This is all hands-on work.
- The successful candidate may be asked to work as part of a team or individually which result in the development of functional design specifications. He/she may also be asked to provide sales and proposals support to account managers and business development teams in defining / influencing customer’s systems / integration requirement.
- Travel between 25% – 50% is required.
More about us
- Bachelor's degree in chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering from an accredited university. Alternatively, a special combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated accomplishments.
- A minimum of 2 years recent and direct experience in: PLC and HMI programming, Controls and HMI hands on work, Configuring control Software and Hardware, Design experience in controls panels with AutoCAD, BoM and Submittal experience, Control programming, Experience in light and heavy industry control application.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- ABB 800xA, AC800M (Control Builder), AC500 (Automation Builder) and/or Allen Bradley SLC/PLC-5 (RSLogix 500), Control/CompactLogix (RSLogix 5000) programming.
- Experience with BMS or BAMS, BACNet a plus.
- ABB Process Panel/CP600 and/or Panel View line HMI programming.
- System integration, automation and/or electrical controls design and engineering.
- Integration of 460VAC and/or 575VAC VFDs and other drive systems into control solutions.
- Site start up and troubleshooting.
- Electrical design and/or power distribution experience a definite plus.
- Proven technical experience.
- Project execution experience.
- Strong organization and planning skills.
- Strong analytical and excellent communication skills.
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Human Computer Interaction
Variable Frequency Drive
Human Machine Interface
Programmable Logic Controllers