At Eisai, satisfying unmet medical needs and increasing the benefits healthcare provides to patients, their families, and caregivers is Eisai's human health care (hhc) mission. We're a growing pharmaceutical company that is breaking through in neurology and oncology, with a strong emphasis on research and development. Our history includes the development of many innovative medicines, notably the discovery of the world's most widely-used treatment for Alzheimer's disease. As we continue to expand, we are seeking highly-motivated individuals who want to work in a fast-paced environment and make a difference. If this is your profile, we want to hear from you.
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (Sr.MSL) is a field-facing representative of US Medical Affairs with a primary responsibility of engaging in the exchange of scientific data and other medical and/or scientific information with external customers (Health Care Providers, researchers, professional organization leadership, and population-based decision makers) in the areas of Eisai's interest. The person in this position will demonstrate a thorough understanding of the customer's needs, issues and priorities as they relate to Eisai's strategic business plan. The Sr.MSL brings relevant insights from the field on research developments, treatment landscape and new concepts in medical treatment. The Sr. MSL will assume a leadership role by teaching, coaching and mentoring new or less experienced MSLs and by assuming responsibility for special projects as they arise.
The impact that a Sr MSL will have on the organization includes the following: a) as a representative of Eisai, a Sr MSL will communicate key information about Eisai, the company and its hhc mission; b) provide key scientific and clinical information about Eisai's products; serve as a conduit for communication between Eisai Research and the medical community regarding ideas for future research with Eisai's products, and c) provide corporate value through demonstrated leadership and participation in strategic thinking
Product/Therapeutic Area Support to External Stakeholders
* Act as the primary clinical/scientific resource to HCPs in the territory for information pertaining to disease state and Eisai's product(s) to ensure awareness and understanding.
* Serve as a conduit for accurate and updated clinical, scientific and medical information between Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs)/investigators and the company's Medical Affairs and development groups.
* Establish, foster, cultivate and maintain peer relationships with KOLs in the therapeutic areas in which Eisai has current and future interests.
* Share knowledge and participate in scientific exchanges and interactions with identified KOLs.
* Present clinical, scientific and economic data on Eisai's products and relevant therapeutic areas to population-based decision-makers, as requested.
* Support assigned professional congresses in accordance with MSL plan. Be prepared to lead congress coverage efforts, including coordination of all MSL activities, as required and assigned by the management.
* Identify and report key scientific, clinical and research insights from KOLs to Medical Affairs.
* Develop, implement and present to management plans to support Medical Affairs strategic direction for assigned territory.
* Maintain and demonstrate thorough and up-to-date knowledge of disease state, study methodology, clinical information, and product data
* Demonstrate full knowledge of and ability to execute on approved medical platforms/strategies and MSL initiatives
* Serve as technical/scientific subject matter resource to Eisai commercial personnel, if requested
* Teach, coach and mentor new or less experienced MSLs; assist with supervision/performance evaluation; assume responsibility for special projects. Provide valuable contributions to the organization including leadership and strategic planning.
* Facilitate review and follow up of submitted Investigator-Initiated Studies (IISs) and assist with Eisai sponsored trials.
* Serve as primary contact to external investigators who submit IISs. The MSL may also be involved with providing recommendations for site selection and scientific expertise to Investigators involved in company sponsored post-marketing studies.
Professional Organization Support
Lead field medical efforts in support of Eisai's collaboration and interactions with professional organizations/societies & advocacy groups, as required.
Advanced terminal D degree in medical or health sciences (e.g M.D., PhD, PharmD, DPH, EdD)
* Minimum of 3 years MSL experience in the therapeutic area of interest to Eisai.
* 3-5 years industry/ clinical pharmacist/research/ related experience in a scientific or clinical setting.
* Strong broad-based scientific and pharmaceutical knowledge.
* Clinical trial development and drug launch experience is strongly preferred.
* Knowledge of treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations and OIG guidelines are required.
* Knowledge and experience within Eisai desired therapeutic area(s) and ability to communicate with confidence and accuracy across multiple disease states.
* Established relationships with key opinion leaders and knowledge of institutions in therapeutic areas of interest.
Other Skills and Abilities:
* Excellent presentation and teaching skills.
* Strong overall written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to assess issues and think strategically.
* Demonstrated ability and experience working cross-functionally.
* Demonstrated ability to anticipate, organize, plan and handle multiple changing priorities.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and not requiring close supervision while adhering to Medical Affairs strategic direction.
* Ability and interest in coaching and mentoring less experienced MSLs. Ability to lead and motivate team members without a direct reporting relationship.
* Ability and interest in leading and participating in projects while effectively balancing projects with field work.
* Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and proactively identify opportunities/issues; effectively solve problems that cross functional boundaries.
* Committed to the concept of team and working within the framework of the Medical Affairs Department and Eisai organization, including as it pertains to compliance with policies, systems and practices.
* Possesses and maintains a valid driver's license.
* Capable of engaging in frequent business travel (approximately 60% of time), including air travel, ability to travel overnight and occasionally on weekends.
* This is a field-based position. The employee is required to set up a home-based office.
* Domestic and international travel may include spending time at cancer trial sites/institutions, conference center, offices and hotels.
* Sound computer skills including applications for word processing, producing slide materials and working with spreadsheets
* Established relationships with key opinion leaders in therapeutic areas of interest
* Understanding of the pharmaceutical corporate environment and appreciation for Commercial Operations, including Marketing and Sales strategies
Eisai is an equal opportunity employer and as such, is committed in policy and in practice to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. Similarly, considering the need for reasonable accommodations, Eisai prohibits discrimination against persons because of disability, including disabled veterans.
Eisai Inc. participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of all new hires in the United States. Please click on the following link for more information:
Right To Work
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Clinical Research
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical Works
- Coaching And Mentoring