To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Cranford, NJ 07016
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Product Development Engineer
Construction Specialties, Inc. • Cranford, NJ
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Construction Specialties, Inc. in Cranford, NJ sells and/or manufactures architectural specialties including louvers, grilles, sun controls, explosion & pressure relief vents.
Cranford is currently looking for a Product Development Engineer.
Conducts and engages in innovation, new product development, product testing, and product/process improvement aligned with strategic product development goals. Provides high level consultative leadership to projects. Goals are cross-functional multi-skilled development, focusing on producing tangible product increments within a short time frame.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, including but not necessarily limited to the following:
- Drives cross-functional team development (across CS locations when suitable) of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives with a goal of production readiness and commercialization.
- Breaks down complex product ideas into actionable technical tasks. Design these technical tasks with the goal of producing tangible results within a short duration of time.
- Studies and recommends techniques to improve existing products. Performs detailed internal and external tests on a wide range of products and/or product samples. Compiles comprehensive test reports to ensure knowledge is shared among team.
- Conducts research, plans and executes trials. Summarizes research and trials through detailed reports.
- Locates and interfaces with outside vendors of materials and/or processes as required in support of NPD initiatives and completing technical tasks.
- Constructs, tests and fabricates physical prototypes of potential new designs. Produces high quality prototype reports that address this prototype’s material usage, building process, test results, cost information, and sustainability evaluations.
- At certain locations, may head up various projects by supervising at the group level of construction and testing of pilot models and components, competitive models, quality control checkouts, etc.
- Performs basic costing activities including return on investment (ROI) calculations.
- Develops, adapts, analyzes and ensures accuracy of drawings, calculations and specifications to suit client needs.
- Provides coaching and guidance to manufacturing operations to solve difficult problem and technical issues as requested.
- Keeps well informed on new developments in the product development field through contact with educational institutions, professional societies, manufacturers and trade shows, perusal of texts, technical papers, journals and periodicals.
- Recommends capital expenditures along with sales and production methods for new products.
- Keeps abreast of new developments, materials or processes for use in adaptations to organization products. Participates in trade association and code regulating bodies on behalf of the company.
- Actively participates in all learning opportunities with the goal to further build cross-functionality and self-sufficiency within the development team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- BS. Degree (M.S.
preferred) in Engineering or related field and three to five years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and
- Must have extensive knowledge within
the field of engineering specific to product development (i.e. mechanical:
fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics, static force analysis, dynamic force
analysis, and other mechanical property related topics). Stays abreast within
- Must be a self-starter, with
demonstrated autonomy, able to handle unexpected events and take advantage of
opportunities to achieve results that consistently exceed expectations
- Must perform as a flexible team
member and be a proficient leader and developer of people
- Must be able to work successfully
and lead in team efforts - experience in cross functional team leadership
- Must be able to communicate with
employees at all levels in the organization, customers of all background, and
technical partners from different industries.
- Effective use of time and resources
to accomplish product development objectives.
- Proficient in MS Office and other
applicable drawing/design software related to specific Engineering field.
- Knowledge and experience in 3D
modeling simulation software is desired.
- Knowledge of construction and
- Must have strong knowledge in the
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing,
Agile methodology, and basic financial accounting knowledge is preferred.
- Ability to interpret a variety of
technical data furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form, and deal
with several abstract, conceptual variables.
- Ability to travel to job sites (domestically and
internationally, if required) for new product evaluation or to review existing