To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Newport News, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Substitute Teacher / Substitute Teacher Assistant
Hampton Roads Community Action Program • Newport News, VA
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Do you love working with kids? Do you have a giving heart? Is helping others in need important to you? If you answered yes to these questions then this is the position for you. Head Start is a federally funded program that helps low income children, and their families get the tools needed to be successful. We are in the process of finding qualified and passionate employees to assist as Substitute Teachers, and Substitute Teacher Assistants to set up our classrooms for success!!
Purpose of Position:
To assist with providing a successful, safe and supervised educational setting for children, while they are in the Head Start environment (classroom, outdoor play area, and field trips).
To assist in the promotion of social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of Head Start children relative to the Creative Curriculum, Head Start Performance Standards/Domains and Licensing guidelines.
To encourage parental involvement in all aspects of the program
To assist in the development of individual goals for children, provide on-going assessment on progress and facilitate transition into kindergarten.
Supervisor: Education Manager
- Candidates must have a Child Development Associate Credential or Degree related to Child Development or Early Childhood Education.
- At least 1 (one) year experience working in a Classroom setting is preferred.
- Background check and valid Virginia Driver’s License required for
- Must have the ability to work and maintain high standards of professional ethics.
- Ability to be flexible with work assignments.
- Experience working with preschool children.
- Excellent communication skills, especially good listening and writing skills.
- Assist in integrating all Head Start service areas into classroom time
- Assist with active supervision of children which includes intentional observation, ongoing monitoring and head count
- Assist in setting up environment (indoor/outdoor) for the activities of the day.
- Utilize lesson plans at the direction of classroom staff
- Follow a consistent schedule which includes small and large group experiences, choice time, music and movement, large and small motor activities, and effective transitions between activities.
- Follow Child Guidance and Behavior Management Policies and Procedures
- Sanitize classroom equipment and laundry where needed.
- Assist with meal service as needed.
- Monitor and manage behavior of children and maintain a head count.
- Secure children in age/weight appropriate restraints
- Assist in emergency evacuation
- Must pass Criminal Record Check and Child protective Services search. Must submit to TB test and physical.
- If a licensed driver, employee must have a valid Virginia Driver's License and proof of current auto insurance where applicable.