Monitor and assess the credit risks of larger, more complex commercial loan portfolios and higher dollar loans through detailed financial statement analysis, industry assessment, collateral valuation, cash flow analysis and the ability to repay annual debt service.RESPONSBILITIES
- Manage the ongoing credit risk of existing loan portfolios through continuous credit monitoring (CCM) activities enabling the timely identification of emerging credit risk so that appropriate actions can be taken to manage the risk, minimize losses and assign an accurate risk rating. A CCM program includes but is not limited to annual reviews (and PLRs and Guarantor Assessments), interim update memos, a covenant monitoring program, problem loan management, early warning indicators, and other forms of credit surveillance.
- Review all pertinent credit and financial information, including but not limited to financial statements, tax returns, due diligence reports, credit bureaus, appraisals, internal credit information, industry research and peer data. Determine the need for more thorough investigation or additional information.
- Analyze financial information and related materials and complete ongoing credit monitoring for the Bank’s commercial transactions. Risk assessment of customers is on an ongoing basis with a focus on identify emerging risks or material changes in customers financial position, including evaluation of compliance with the loan agreement. Analyses to include an independent credit quality assessment for existing loans with well-supported risk rating rationale, identification of credit risks and mitigants, industry concerns, market trends, financial trends, and other pertinent credit issues.
- Liaison between Commercial Banking Relationship Managers and the Underwriting Team for facilitating credit needs of customers, whether through new requests, modifications or annual reviews / renewals. Includes documenting and tracking of relevant information, reports and memos to ensure necessary credit approvals are obtained, documented and adhered to from fulfillment through closing and maintenance in order to maintain timely and accurate risk ratings for a portfolio of commercial credits.
- Spread financial statements and prepare financial models designed to sensitize various conditions impacting the proposed transaction. Prepare cash flow, collateral schedules, covenant sensitivity calculations, financial models, and guarantor statement analysis as appropriate.
- Monitor credit performance of customer portfolios and escalate or remediate, as appropriate.
- Responsible for the timeliness of the monitoring activities and ensure credit policy compliance by verifying adherence of monitoring activities to the Commercial Credit Policy, and evaluating any risk associated with non-compliance.
- Present analysis or address questions during credit discussions or presentations.
- May attend client calls with RMs in order to gain a thorough understanding of the client / prospect and their business in order to effectively assist in annual reviews, renewals and ongoing monitoring activities.
- Adhere to applicable compliance/operational risk controls in accordance with Company or regulatory standards and policies.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
The Commercial Credit Portfolio Management Department is responsible for the ongoing monitoring process for the Bank’s commercial loans to ensure timely and accurate credit risk ratings and compliance with both credit policy and loan agreements.
This position interacts with Commercial Banking Relationship Managers throughout the bank’s footprint, as well as other internal personnel, on credit monitoring of $30MM+ typically. Works under limited supervision.
Potential for client interaction.
Works independently with limited supervisionMANAGMENET RESPONSBILITIES
Input into training of junior/newly hired Portfolio ManagersEDUCATION REQUIRED
Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or related disciplineEXPEREINCE REQUIRED
5 years’ experience in commercial credit, public accounting, financial statement preparation/analysis or other financial analysis.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent analytical abilityLocation
Iselin, New Jersey, United States of America
- Cash Management