Performs the function of a Licensed Practical Nurse, under the direct supervision of a registered nurse in planning and implementing nursing care for patients as assigned. Is responsible for adhering to all Standards of Nursing Practice, as they apply for managing supplies and equipment under the direction of the charge nurse.
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Collaborates -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Goals -- Completes quarterly goals
Delivering the Mission -- Performs duties as defined in this job description and demonstrates mastery of role
1. Observes the physical, psycho-social, spiritual, cultural, functional, high risk and discharge needs of the patient and family.
• Performs, observations/care at intervals as required or appropriate to the patient's needs.
• Ensures physical observations/care includes all major body systems.
• Ensures spiritual observations/care includes actual/expressed needs.
• Incorporates cultural and ethnic factors into observation/care.
2. Demonstrates the ability to accurately observe and document patient care activities and hospital processes.
• Uses computer system(s) appropriately.
• Documents in the medical record according to policy/procedure.
• Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
3. Under the direct supervision of an RN, carries out the nursing plan of care for the patient/family
• Re-evaluates and modifies the plan of care, based on the patient's response to the interventions.
• Communicates the plan of care to members of the nursing team.
• Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities based on patient assessment and staff capabilities.
• Demonstrates sound clinical judgment in decision-making regarding patient care.
• Assists RN in management of emergencies
4. Incorporates the plan for nursing care into the multidisciplinary care and management of the patient/family.
• Reports significant changes in patient condition to RN promptly.
• Communicates effectively with physicians and health team.
• Coordinates nursing care with other disciplines involved.
• Actively participates in multidisciplinary care conferences
5. Assures the rights of the patient/family are respected and maintained.
• Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
• Identifies self by name and title to patient/family
• Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect, if identified.
• Understands role of, and how to access, the Ethics Committee.
6. Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently administer medications, intravenous therapy and basic fluid management.
• Understands actions, side-effects, contra-indications of drugs.
• Follows five 'rights' of medication administration.
• Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards.
• Administers medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management only under physician order and guidance.
• Assists RN with IV medication administration.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of unit specific policies and procedures and the ability to safely and competently use unit specific patient care equipment in the delivery of quality patient care.
• Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
• Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use.
• Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operating guidelines.
• Reports potential equipment/user error incidents to RN.
- Attends/reviews department staff meetings for information.
months recent inpatient experience preferred
- Current Louisiana LPN License
Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse Certified