PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION WILL BE WORKING in our Connecticut office.
BHI Energy is currently looking for a Designer I who provides entry level design support associated with the Connecticut office. The Designer I designs overhead electric distribution projects that will serve to strengthen the client's electrical grid. The incumbent will process field survey data, circuit drawings, utility standards, project estimates, and feeder system upgrades utilizing GIS software and a work management system provided by the utility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Updates GIS software to reflect current field conditions
• With guidance, designs and processes construction work requests related to overhead associated with electric distribution systems applying the prescribed guidelines, utility standards, and procedures.
• Prepares computer assisted designs and generates construction drawings for review by Quality Assurance (QA), Design Supervisor, and other Designers
• Prepares distribution circuit designs with basic understanding of circuit drawings and distribution engineering concepts
• With assistance, prepares pole boring, cost estimates, and any other required documents and reports for construction and maintenance projects
• Tracks and updates design activities within BHI Energy's project management system
• Attends regular training sessions to maintain proficiency in design work
• Promotes a safe work environment using BHI Energy's Gold Standard
• Stays current on client guideline changes
• Follows the BHI safety procedures when out of office and in the field including the pre-job brief and vehicle inspections
• Attends outside meetings with client engineers to define project scope and submit meeting notes for all client and designated internal staff at pre-construction, pre-engineering, and pre-design stages
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist with the gathering of information from field survey data and verify accuracy of maps and record drawings
• Assist with storm restoration activities such as patrolling, extendo stick, and production lead during a storm
• Other duties as assigned
Ensures the proposed work meets the guidelines and recommends design changes if necessary. Exercises minimal judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine the appropriate action. Assesses the scope of assigned projects, collects data and completes tasks. Presents recommendations to Design Supervisor. Erroneous
actions would be detected by supervisory review and can disrupt client project and employees of BHI. Errors may result in mid expenditure of resources to correct.
Internal contact with employees and supervisors and other designers which ranges from the exchange of information to the delivery of recommendations.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
Works on tasks of lower complexity which requires some independent judgement and makes routine recommendations. Receives instructions on routine work and on new assignments.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Individual contributor. Does not supervise.
• Bachelor/Associate degree in Engineering, Technology, or 4 years related experience required
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook)
• Possess and maintain a valid driver's license
• Must pass background and credit check
• Good oral and written communication skills are required
• Ability to interact with clients in connection with project design responsibilities
• Strong ability to tolerate change and willingness to be flexible
• Displays a questioning attitude
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD and/or GIS systems preferred
• Ability to utilize mapping software preferred
Product Quality Assurance
Geographic Information Systems