Vallen’s Data Engineer is an individual contributor responsible for analyzing and evaluating computer programs and systems and develop new or modify existing applications, databases and/or interfaces. They review user requests for new or modified computer programs to determine feasibility, cost and time required, compatibility with current system, and computer capabilities. They configure a plan outlining steps required to develop program, using structured analysis and design. They write code, run tests, develop technical documentation, install and maintain programs to support the organization’s IT needs. Vallen’s Data Engineer develop, test, and document the applications they develop, enhance, and/or maintain. The main responsibility of this role is to develop full-stack data solutions.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consults with supervisor, systems analysts, other programmers, and end users to gather information about program intent, functions, features, data requirements, input requirements, output requirements, internal and external checks and controls, hardware and operating system environment, and interfaces with other systems.
- Designs and writes program specifications based on consultations with supervisor, systems analysts, other programmers, and end users.
- Converts designs and specifications into computer code.
- Compiles code into programs and corrects errors detected in compile process.
- Creates test transactions and runs tests to find errors and confirm program meets specifications.
- Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revises programs.
- Writes and maintains documentation of changes to computer code, programs, and specifications.
- Designs and codes layouts for onscreen user interfaces, printed outputs, and interfaces with other systems.
- Reviews user and technical documentation written by others to confirm consistency with program operations.
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs.
- Revises program for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes.
- Trains end users or technical support staff to use and support program.
- Coordinates with other programmers about program revisions.
- Modifies and maintains software programs written by others; participates in team code reviews.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Vallen is an industry leader in delivering flexible supply chain solutions and services along with a comprehensive range of maintenance, repair, operating, production, safety and electrical products to meet the growing supply needs of customers in facilities across North America and around the world. Vallen is headquartered in Belmont, NC and is a subsidiary of Sonepar USA, part of the global Sonepar family.
Working at Vallen
At Vallen, we are committed to the success of our customers and our co-workers and do what it takes to get the job done right. We work diligently to improve and drive results that create value. We’re hands-on, responsive and team-oriented. We apply our insights, experience and relationships to find the best solution to every challenge. We hold ourselves to be personally accountable to do what we say we will do.
Qualifications & Benefits
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or other related discipline coupled with 2+ years of relevant experience. Relevant experience should include:
- Demonstrated full-life cycle development
- Solid understanding of one or more programming languages or frameworks.
- Ability to work as part of team.
- Analytical thinking skills.
- Debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Required Technical Skills:
- Functional Programming (e.g. Clojure, Scala)
- Working with cloud-based solutions (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
Bonus Technical Skills (preferred):
- Infrastructure as Code (e.g. HCL/Terraform)
- Microsoft Azure
- Data Warehousing/Lake concepts
- WfMS (e.g. Apache Airflow)
- General Purpose or OO programming (e.g. Java, Python, etc.)
- Containers (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Building CI/CD pipelines
401K Plan, Health Insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Paid Vacation, Paid Sick, Paid Personal, Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health and Dependent Care), Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Discounts and a definitive career path.
Software As A Services
Platform As A Services
Infrastructure As A Service (Iaa S)