Experis is exclusively partnering with a highly respected industry leader in the Greater Appleton, WI Area on a highly visible direct hire/permanent Director of Engineering position that's open due to continued growth.
Our client is the premier Ammonia Refrigeration Service provider in Wisconsin and the Midwest, with a multi-faceted team that provides a variety of services to meet the needs of their expanding and diverse customer base. The company prides itself on being a champion of both its internal and external customers; cultivating a family atmosphere that provides room for growth and professional enrichment. When you work for our client you have the opportunity to elevate your leadership skills and work with a proactive, strategic leadership team that embraces continuous improvement and innovation. The Director of Refrigeration Engineering is newly created position, and is a reflection of their continued growth and success. This position will be instrumental in developing their team, providing leadership, management and vision to sustain their position as an industry leader.
The Vice President of this department is planning on retiring in the next 4-5 years. So, this is a great opportunity for quick and solid advancement.
The company offers a very generous compensation plan (base salary, bonus, and profit sharing), great benefits package, and relocation assistance (if needed).
The Director of Engineering is a highly visible position and responsible for providing the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper resources and systems in place to effectively and successfully grow the Refrigeration Business Segment through value added engineering solutions in support of project delivery.
Business Segment Leadership
- Work collaboratively with Vice President of Refrigeration Solutions to provide continued strategic development, clarification and direction to the business segment team and achieve or exceed business segment P & L goals.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Sales to achieve or exceed Business Segment sales goals.
- Lead initiatives for implementing Business Segment strategy.
- Actively participate in the formulation, execution and monitoring of Business Segment budgets, policies, and planning.
Customer Account and Project Opportunity Management
- Actively engaged with Business Segment sales roles in joint coordination of:
- Proactive customer account management.
- Evaluate and prioritize project opportunities relative to capability, risk, and capacity.
- Utilization of Cosential software for project opportunity management flow.
- Provide primary design input to Business Segment Team for 'go/no go' decision on project opportunities regarding design solutions.
Refrigeration Engineering and Estimating Resource Management
- Organize and distribute incoming proposal/ project requests among engineering staff.
- Review quotes/ proposals for solution, scope and risk; including mark-up/pricing, prior to submittal by engineering staff, as required.
- Assure timely responses to customers.
- Manage the distribution of workload for engineering and estimating functions.
- Identify and coordinate the need for supplemental design consultant and estimating resources, including negotiation of service agreements.
- Recruit new staff for future engineering and estimating manpower requirements
Technical Engineering Expertise
- Technical "sounding board" for engineering solutions for day to day mentoring and problematic system occurrences.
- Provide final review of system designs (for large scope projects and/or as needed), including 'design peer reviews', as required.
- Maintain working knowledge of current codes.
- Maintain active participation in professional organizations (ASHRAE, RETA, IIAR, etc.)
Engineering Process Management
- In collaboration with the Refrigeration Engineering Manager and VDC Manager, lead and support the continuous development and implementation of design standards and best practices within the engineering and VDC functions.
- Develop and implement standard training systems, materials and professional development plans for all Refrigeration engineering staff.
- Proactively promote and support all of the continuous improvement initiatives of the company, including Safety, Lean and ISO.
- Interact with the team and staff to motivate them and maintain high employee morale.
- Instruct and direct staff to promptly address and respond to customer inquiries, complaints and trouble calls to assure resolution and maintain customer confidence, satisfaction and long term relationships
- Evaluate current skill sets and training needs within the team; develop and implement programs to improve skills of staff (as individuals as well as group)
- Oversee and drive training and development including: Company Training Academy, engineering intern program, emerging technologies (CO2, etc), and other initiatives to support market segment growth and succession planning.
- Assist with recruitment and/or development of staff for additional P.E. testing and state licensing requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree is in Engineering or a related field
- 10+ years of experience
- Leadership experience - Engineering Manager, Director of Engineering, etc.
- Experience with industrial refrigeration/ammonia, industrial refrigeration, or HVAC with exposure to refrigeration/piping
- General knowledge of mechanical systems and industry terminology
- Familiar with and capable of reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications.
- General knowledge of the construction industry.
- Design experience/knowledge - there isn't any actual design work involved with this position but previous experience/knowledge will be very helpful. Experience in a design/build engineering role is preferred.
- Lean exposure, certifications and/or training.
Coaching And Mentoring
Training And Development