The BPN Business Operations Director serves as a core member of the leadership team ensuring high levels of operational excellence every day. The position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the financial and operational aspects for the school organization, including regularly identifying financial and operational areas of improvement to position the organization for performance at an optimum level. Responsibilities include student data collection and analysis, , identifying trends in student performance, ROI analysis and measuring the impact of programs, technology and inventory management, human resources duties, and ensuring operational excellence through planning, coordinating and supervising the day-to- day business operations of the school office. Will adhere to best practices in financial, operational, human resource management, and compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and collective bargaining agreements.Primary Responsibilities:
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Drive sound business decisions using various analytical techniques and influence of applicable leadership.
- Work with leadership to analyze current and past trends of student performance, including highlighting trends, analyzing causes of unexpected variances and ROI of school-based programs.
- Work with school leadership to devise improvement plans.
- Provide supervisory support in the enrollment, transfer, discharge and readmission process for students and the preparation of related records, reports and files. Report on enrollment and assist school with onboarding incoming students and families and maintenance of the student waiting list.
- Manage the maintenance and retention of student records, including assessment results, test scores, attendance, discipline, citations, medical reports and records, and other applicable documents.
- Advocate for all policies, procedures and communications across the school community to drive student outcomes. Establish and maintain successful relationships with all members of the school and building partners to drive the goals of the school and presence in the community. Develop student recruitment materials and direct mail campaigns.
- Responsible for work completed by school administrative staff. Indirectly manage tasks/responsibilities through relationships with school leadership.
- Respond to questions and help resolve process-related problems.
- Perform human resources tasks including, but not limited to: employment and certification verifications, unemployment claims, required employment postings/notices, OSHA/Workers' Compensation reports, recruiting, on-boarding, exit interviews, benefits administration, job descriptions, HR system maintenance, etc.
- Implement fingerprint supported background checks and verification of teacher certification of all applicable employees.
- Work closely with the three Unions working at the location, assist with union grievances and employment related legal matters.
- Assist in the charter renewal process to include data analysis and summarization.
- Ensures operational excellence and high level of detail in all areas of operations, from school aesthetics, to school health and safety protocols. Communicates with BPN, Engineer and Buffalo Public School. Follow up on projects and maintenance, monitoring progress.
- Ensure effective front office systems and processes are in place to achieve organizational goals and meet deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with school technology teachers to develop a technology strategic plan, manage and support appropriate shared technology services and applications.
- Manage required New York State Education Department (NYSED) regulatory reporting related to staff/employment matters. Ensure data accuracy, integrity, and timeliness.
- Present and clearly articulate findings, data, and other relevant information to senior and executive management.
- Liaise with external partners to identify and resolve technology issues impacting the school. Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Buffalo Promise Neighborhood (BPN) is a unique public/private partnership serving over 12,000 residents, including 3,000 children, in the city of Buffalo. BPN aims to reverse the cycle of generational poverty and prepare students for college and a career through a pipeline of services supporting academic achievement and healthy development. As such, this position is responsible for the planning, coordinating and supervising the day-to-day business operations to support the Westminster Community Charter School performing at an optimal level.Managerial/Supervisory Responsibilities:
NoneEducation and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree and 5 years' experience in finance and operations, or similar or in lieu of a degree a combined minimum of 9 years higher education and work experience to include a minimum of 5 years' experience in finance and operations, or similar.
Understanding of business functions such as Finance, HR, Marketing and Operations Analytical and strategic thinker
Detail oriented with strong organizational skill set
Knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics Ability to multitask and meet aggressive deadlines
Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
Strong communication skills to include tact and diplomacy.
Ability to influence without authority.Education and Experience Preferred:
Charter school experience or working in urban communities Experience working directly in a unionized environmentPhysical Requirements: