The Division of Infectious Diseases is seeking a Research Specialist who supports a variety of research projects at the Center for Innovative Diagnostics for Infectious Diseases, including STD and other infectious diseases research projects. They will work under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI) to design and independently carry out experiments in the laboratory, analyze data, assist in the preparation of manuscripts, and will be responsible for general maintenance of the laboratory, equipment, and supplies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Following established procedures or protocols and utilizing aseptic techniques, perform experiments associated with microbiology, serology and/or molecular biology.
- Participate in planning experiments and evaluating/interpreting test results utilizing detailed knowledge of research laboratory procedures and practices.
- Responsible for operating and maintaining large automated diagnostic or robotic platforms.
- Duties will also include ordering supplies.
- Participate in laboratory research and perform experiments independently.
- Design and perform laboratory experiments for STD research projects with limited guidance by the principal investigator.
- Have experience with a wide range of molecular biology techniques, particularly DNA/RNAisolation, PCR, and cell culture.
- Design and maintain spreadsheets and databases for tracking and management of research data.
- When necessary, perform basic statistical analyses on research data.
- Data entry and management using database and other computer software.
- Perform literature searches for presentations and publications.
- Maintain and document detailed working protocols for the lab.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of data collection.
- Organize, analyze and summarize the research data to prepare laboratory and scientificmeeting reports.
- Participate as a member of collaborative team in study design and development of STDrelated projects.
- Meet regularly with the PI to discuss study progress.
- Attend all mandatory research teammeetings.
- Prepare reports as required by the principal investigators and senior scientists on the program.
- Routine lab duties including ordering supplies and materials, inventory, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Perform other research-related duties as directed by the PI.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field required.
- One (1) year of laboratory experience performing relevant techniques.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits (semester hours), with related graduate research, may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- At least one year of experience in a clinical or research laboratory required; 3 – 5 years preferred.
- Prior work with research studies involving human subjects preferred, but not required.
- Master's Degree with related graduate research, may substitute for experience equivalent.
- Experience in a clinical laboratory environment is highly desirable.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required.
- Independent and self -motivated, needing little to no supervision.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated strong, positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively across disciplines.
- Experience in using micropipettes and molecular methodologies, including PCR; working with various chemicals; making dilutions; working with enzyme reactions.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint; Basic experience using Microsoft Office.
Classified Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $16.13 - $22.16/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30am - 5pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM DOM ID STD Lab
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Research Specialist. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Research Specialist and all other JHU applicants should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Research Specialist.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Research Specialist
- Attention To Detail
- Clinical Works
- Data Analysis