Unit Secretary, Oncology
Full Time, 72 Hours Per Pay Period, Day Shift
At Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, leading cancer specialists use the most advanced technologies to achieve breakthrough successes in treating many types of cancer. Patients who are undergoing treatment for cancer are facing the unknown and need special, personalized treatments and kindhearted attention. For that reason, we send oncology patients to 8 North to receive exceptional care.
The Oncology Unit (8 North) at Fort Sanders Regional is a 42 bed unit providing care for patients who have a cancer diagnosis. We work very closely with Thompson Cancer Survival Center and specialize in the treatment of the oncology patient including those who are receiving inpatient chemotherapy and targeted therapies, blood transfusions, or those who need end of life care. Patients on our unit usually stay a few weeks at a time.
Our staff consists of RNs, LPNs, CNA/PCAs, and HUCs who work together to provide exceptional patient care. In addition to having excellent critical thinking skills, our ideal candidate will also possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
If you are passionate about caring for oncology patients, apply today!
Position Summary: Provide clerical and secretarial services to the nursing unit.
- Performs clerical duties related to procedures such as admission, discharge, transfer, and death.
- Ensures STAT orders are brought to the attention of licensed nursing personnel.
- Transcribes physician’s orders accurately and in a timely manner and notifies consults as ordered.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment, maintenance and repair services, and prepares related forms. Keeps unit stock and equipment inventories at appropriate levels.
- Answers telephone and intercoms; relays and documents messages. Helps to ensure that follow-up to patients request is timely.
- Assists physicians in obtaining reports from lab, radiology, etc.
- Schedules patient tests, diagnostic procedures, and doctors appointments for patients as requested.
- Organizes patient charts in proper sequence. Labels and replenishes all necessary forms.
- Demonstrates competency as a Certified Nursing Assistant by completing the Certified Nursing Assistant Course with successful completion of the certification exam and by completion of the CNA skills competency checklist in Healthstream.
- Assist with quality audits for nursing unit.
- Obtains patient records from other facilities.
- Manages patient flow via flowboard if applicable.
- Assures appropriate discharge disposition in electronic medical records
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education: None specified; will accept any combination of formal education and/or prior work experience sufficient to demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and ability needed to perform the essential tasks of the job, typically such as would be equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. Preference may be given to individuals possessing a HS diploma or GED.
Minimum Experience: Must be a CNA at the time of hire or be a HUC I, PCA or CNA with six or more (6+) months of experience at a Covenant Health facility and complete the Covenant Health’s Patient Care Assistant training protocol OR For HUC II working in Cardiac Areas- completion of Apex modules 1-6 and/or telemetry class completed prior to hire or placement in a HUC II role.
Licensure Requirement: External new hires must have CNA certification.
Certified Nursing Assistant
Profit Center Accounting