Temporary - Public Involvement & Real Estate Agent
Job Requisition Number
Electric Service Delivery (115)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business, Geography, Planning, Real Estate, or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years related experience.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
Notes to Applicants
This position is part of the Austin Energy (AE) Public Involvement and Real Estate Services team. The position is primarily responsible for acquiring the land rights necessary for Austin Energy( AE) electric infrastructure projects identified during the site plan and subdivision review process, the design for service, and /or for capital improvement projects. The PIRES Agent position is a front line customer facing staff member who negotiates with customers on the location of AE service, identifies clearance and safety issues, other utility conflicts, is liaison with other city departments, and ultimately establishes land rights for AE system improvements and future reliability.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities, and more. [ Link removed ] Employment Application:
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Resumes will not be accepted and statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
Fair Labor Standards Act:
- Work hours may include after-hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employees may be required to work additional hours outside of their regular work schedule.
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
Related Work Experience:
- If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the [ Link removed ] , you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- For this position relevant experience means working knowledge of land and real property matters, including experience with legal descriptions, title regulations, legal terminology, real property law, and the ability to read and understand contracts, agreements, title documents, conveyance documents, survey illustrations, site, subdivision and construction plans.
$31.02 – $40.33 per hour
Monday through Friday.
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – 40 Hour Work Week
Additional work hours may be required to support the 24-hour Utility operations, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
2500 Montopolis Dr., Austin, Texas 78741
- Experience working on project teams assisting with the development and design of utility infrastructure projects.
- Experience providing a high level of customer service to a variety of diverse internal and external customers.
- Experience in preparing the legal documents necessary for conveyance or agreement regarding real property rights.
- Experience reading and interpreting site plans, survey illustrations and legal descriptions, blueprints, and construction plans.
- Experience in developing and facilitating community outreach programs.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities – Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Contacts customer and negotiate for easement or property acquisition.
- Secures required easements and permits with cooperation of the customer.
- Drafts easement language, sketch attachments.
- Coordinates survey information, real property document research and permit research. Records documents at county courthouses. Buys and sells property.
- Secures all necessary development permits required for completion of project from city, county and state governments.
- Works with distribution design team daily to produce cost effective design with minimal easement acquisition costs.
- Arranges and conducts team meetings, neighborhood meetings, staff presentations, and notification and follow up for major Distribution projects.
- Prepares monthly performance reports. Maintains data base of acquisitions, releases and sales.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of easements, land development principles, contracts, right of way issues.
- Knowledge of concepts of distribution design and facility placement.
- Knowledge of city, county and state permit processes.
- Knowledge of city and county records research.
- Knowledge of City of Austin subdivision codes and statutes.
- Ability to read plans, field notes and topographic maps.
- Skills in negotiating and conflict management.
- Skills in operation of personal computer: spreadsheet, data base, presentation and word processing software.
- Speaking, writing and listening skills.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
This position requires: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business, Geography, Planning, Real Estate, or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years related experience. Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years. Do you meet this requirement?
Describe your experience working on project teams assisting with the development and design of utility infrastructure projects.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience using examples demonstrating a high level of customer service skills and ability to assess customer needs by responding to incoming inquiries from internal and external customers about processes, requirements, and procedures.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience in preparing the legal documents necessary for conveyance or agreement regarding real property rights.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your knowledge and experience reading and interpreting construction/site plans, surveys, and property records. Please indicate in your response the specific position(s) on your application where you obtained this experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Please decribe your experience planning and developing community outreach programs.. If none, indicate n/a.
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
- Active Listening
- Conflict Management
- Customer Demand Planning
- Customer Service