Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen's network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Local Public Affairs Specialist will play a critical role in Lumen's fiber investment throughout communities - acting as a force multiplier for both economic development, growth, and sustainability in communities.
Operationally you will be responsible and measured your ability to successfully improve infrastructure deployment cycles that meet commitments and guidance provided to the board, shareholders, and to the wall street analyst. Your role would be responsible for proactively collaborating with local governments and utilities to create a positive relationship that results in reduced cycles for permitting, row agreements, and pole permissions from the various governing bodies. You will also be responsible for ensuring that we have favorable terms that are acceptable for our deployment teams and are within the expectations set with regulatory requirements and corporate guidance.
You will work within the Network Implementation team, Government Affairs, Carrier Relations group, and Corporate Communications organizations to understand both the operations, development, and amplification of Lumen's effort to deliver fiber to 10 million American homes and businesses over the next five years.
A successful candidate will have the ability to quickly establish relationships and clear lines of communication with local elected officials, policymakers, influencers, decision-makers and community partners. You will act as the 'connective tissue' between Lumen's Network Implementation team and local permitting offices to establish predictable permitting timelines and help create innovative solutions when necessary to clear hurdles in local permitting application processes.
As the face of Lumen's investment, you will coordinate closely with State Government Affairs Directors to understand current relationships and act as a brand ambassador between Lumen and the communities we serve. You will raise awareness of Lumen's fiber investment with local government, businesses, and community organizations to celebrate the opportunities Lumen's gigabit fiber internet service brings to every neighborhood.
The Main Responsibilities
* Quickly understand the level/volume of Lumen investment in the market
* Improve permitting, ROW approvals, and permission to attach approval to meet company deployment targets.
* Gather and negotiate the required guidelines and specifications for Engineering design requirements from the governing entities.
* Ensure those requirements are documented in databases and cataloged in a library for reference.
* Quality control submittals that are going to our largest and most sensitive areas to ensure the work being submitted meets the requirements of the governing entities.
* Work directly with your local Network Implementation team to understand details of the build and clear existing roadblocks with local permitting offices
* Work with local governments to understand details of permitting application processes
* Work with vendors when necessary to ensure accuracy of information flow between vendors, local permit offices, and other external partners (utilities, community orgs, businesses)
* Work with State Government Affairs Directors to build upon/maintain relationships with appropriate permit offices and city, county, and state lawmakers
* Act as the 'connective tissue' between internal and external organizations ensuring clear lines of communication across organizations internally and externally
* Prepare and present PowerPoint presentations to highlight/amplify Lumen's fiber investment in local communities and opportunities for consumers, businesses, and anchor institutions
* Coordinate announcements/events with Corporate Communications to celebrate Lumen's investment and highlight the benefits of Lumen's fiber network
* Represent Lumen in meetings with local government, community partners and neighborhood organizations
* Monitor local ordinance related to broadband providers, permitting, grants and community development
* Work to expand partnerships in communities through available grant opportunities
What We Look For in a Candidate
* Minimum of 5 years of experience working in/with permit offices and key public sector elected officials and staff
* Ability to act as the operational driver for both traditional and innovative permit application solutions
* High degree of integrity due to nature of information involved and visibility of the position
* Ideal candidate will have working knowledge of permitting processes of government and utilities and the ability to act as the operational driver for both traditional and innovative permit application solutions
* Excellent manager of relationships and proven record of ability to work with elected officials, policymakers, and senior staff
* Proficiency in MS Office Suite
* Strong verbal and written communications skills
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Occasional evening and weekend work and the ability to travel between cities within assigned territories
* 2+ years' experience in technology, broadband and/or telcom industry
* 2+ years' subject matter expertise in city/county/state govt and utility permitting
What to Expect Next
Requisition #: 325334
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here.
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the base salary pay range for this job based on current national market data. Ranges may vary based on the job's location. We offer competitive pay that varies based on individual experience, qualifications and other relevant factors. We encourage you to apply to positions that you are interested in and for which you believe you are qualified. To learn more, you are welcome to discuss with us as you move through the selection process.
- Mergers And Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures
- Management Consulting
- Due Diligence
- Contract Management