- Supervise three associates; review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations prepared by the team.
- Assume ownership of assigned areas of responsibility, ensuring GAAP compliance.
- Perform a monthly interface and reconciliation of several subsidiary trial balances with the SAP general ledger.
- Respond to inquiries and provide financial analysis support for multiple functional areas.
- Investigate variances and follow up with the business to ensure appropriate action is taken.
- Ensure compliance with all SOX requirements for related processes and controls.
- Support internal and external auditors in accumulation and preparation of required audit documentation and schedules.
- Manage people, processes, budgets, performance management, compliance activities, and associate development.
- Interact with and maintain working relationships with Finance, Operations, Internal Audit, subsidiary accountants, and other various internal and external contacts.
- Implement process improvements that result in improved efficiency and accuracy.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Understand and demonstrate Essendant’s Core Values.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Strong technical accounting skills and working knowledge of GAAP and general ledger accounting.
- Strong overall understanding of the financial close process.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines, manage workflow, and follow up as needed.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and an attention to detail.
- Excellent mathematical/computational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, including advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of SAP, Trend, SAGE, Hyperion, or Visual Basic a plus.
Education and Experience (minimum level of experience and education required to do the job)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required.
- CPA required.
- Minimum 5 years directly applicable work experience, including supervision of employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
See job description
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles