We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $5,000 in bonuses as well as up to $5,000 for relocation expenses!
At Mastery, all means all. Nearly one quarter of our students have individualized education plans (IEPs) to help ensure they get the educational opportunities they need. As a Secondary Special Education Teacher you will work with a team of teachers, case managers, school leaders, and central office support staff to help push the boundaries of what’s possible for your students academically, emotionally, and physically while also developing your craft. Along with managing student IEPs you will deliver research-based interventions and monitor progress across a series of systems we’ve designed and tailored to deliver the best outcomes for students and accelerate your own professional growth. At Mastery, we have a robust response to intervention program and we are excited for you to bring your enthusiasm, skills, and experiences to the team.
In our 7th-12th Grade interventions, we use Read to Achieve, Reading Plus, Read 180, Fundations, Guided Reading, Wilson Reading System, Just Words, and Sonday System to support our readers who are struggling and both Transmath and Do the Math to support our mathematicians.
Across the Mastery network our [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to High School Special Education Teacher - 9th-12th Grade - 2022/2023 School Year
spans from an itinerant to supplemental level of support. Our preference is for our students with IEPs to spend the minimum amount of time in self-contained classrooms and our school-based and central office-based Specialized Services Team members help our Special Education Teachers and Classroom Assistants build a comprehensive level of support. We strive to maximize our teacher-to-student ratio in our Special Education programs and have multiple classrooms across our network specifically tailored for students who are English Language Learners, students with Autism Support needs, students with Emotional Support needs, students with Multiple Disability needs, and students with Life Skills needs. At Mastery we value Continuous Improvement and want to ensure you learn and grow in your craft so we have professional development or peer collaboration time built into our calendar every Wednesday.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- Commit to professional growth, self-reflection, a receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- Implement rigorous and appropriate lesson plans, assignments, and assessments in cooperation with Mastery school-based leadership and curricular resources developed by Mastery’s central office Academic Team
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, plan events for joy and humor, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage families in their children’s education by building relationships and maintaining regular communication
- Demonstrate genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- Respond positively and effectively to challenges with a solutions-oriented resiliency
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Teacher certification - completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF MAY 2022 - Please review [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to High School Special Education Teacher - 9th-12th Grade - 2022/2023 School Year here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19 for the 2021-22 school year. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.
- Business Process Improvement
- Customer Relationship Management