CFD Research is seeking a team member to support development of modeling, simulation, analysis, and design tools and workflows for aerospace vehicles. The engineer will join CFD Research's Aerospace and Data Science Groups and will support R&D programs performing multi-disciplinary, multi-objective optimization of air-vehicles for the Air Force, NASA, Navy, and MDA. The engineer will support integration of government and commercial off-the-shelf tools with in-house modeling, simulation, and analysis tools to perform automated evaluation of candidate air-vehicle (guided weapon systems, manned aircraft, and UAVs) designs. The position will involve development of machine learning and reduced-order models to characterize aerospace vehicle properties and performance.
* Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineer, or similar discipline. Advance degree preferred but not required.
* 3 or more years of experience in aerospace modeling, simulation, or optimization software development
* Experience with flight dynamics, guidance, navigation, control, aerodynamics, and 3DOF/6DOF simulation
* Proficiency with the Python programming language
* Working knowledge of software development practices, including git software configuration management
* Excellent proactive communication (oral, written, presentation), interpersonal, and organizational skills
* Ability to successfully complete assigned tasks with general supervision and oversight
* Candidate must be a US Citizen and meet eligibility to obtain/maintain a Security Clearance
* Ambitious, hardworking, and driven towards continuous growth
* Strong analytical problem-solving skills with the ability to devise creative software design solutions
* Proven ability to engage multiple stakeholders and provide recommendations to technical decisions
* Proficiency with additional software languages used in simulations (C++, Fortran, MATLAB, Java)
* Working knowledge of multidisciplinary optimization
* Knowledge of threat characteristics such as trajectory, kinematics, and signatures is a plus
* Familiarity with system development practices and Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
About the Company: CFD Research is the technology leader in engineering simulations and innovative designs. Our services are used by many Fortune 500 and emerging high-tech companies, national laboratories, and universities worldwide. CFD Research develops cutting-edge technologies (software & hardware, designs and prototypes) with Federal agencies and provides the highest possible leverage to our industry partners.
About the Group: CFD Research's Aerospace Machine Learning Group is developing a portfolio of traditional modeling and simulation, machine learning, and reduced-order modeling tools for supporting aerospace R&D. This includes development of predictive machine learning and reduced-order models for (1) rapid estimation of aerospace vehicle properties; (2) optimal data collection through intelligent adaptive design of experiment techniques; (3) affordable uncertainty quantification; and (4) multi-disciplinary design optimization.
Benefits: CFD Research offers competitive salaries and excellent employee benefits, including an employer matching 401(k) and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). CFD Research offers a highly competitive insurance package, including medical, vision, and dental insurance. We offer company paid long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, and life insurance. Performance appraisals occur each year and pay increases are based upon corporate goals, personal development, performance, and outstanding achievements. In addition, group and individual bonuses are awarded for exceptional performance.
CFD Research is an EO employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories
- Aerospace Industries
- C++ (Programming Language)