Senior Electrical Engineer
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage, and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable zero-carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance, and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Provides high level engineering to develop conceptual and detailed design and provides construction support for utility scale renewable power plants (wind & solar) and battery storage systems throughout the United States and Canada
- Serves as lead electrical engineer on multiple complex renewable energy projects.
- Reviews technical portions of RFP and contract documents.
- Supports estimating of company and 3rd party developed projects by preparing preliminary designs for proposed projects.
- Prepares and reviews specifications and construction documents for low, medium, and high voltage electrical power facilities.
- Designs and/or reviews the design of utility interconnection substation facilities including power transformers, medium voltage switchgear, protection and control systems, reactive compensation equipment, grounding and lighting protection, low and medium voltage ac and dc cable systems, and plant auxiliary equipment.
- Conducts and/or reviews design studies on components and systems to establish equipment ratings, optimize designs, and establish operating parameters to achieve a safe, well-engineered, and cost-effective project.
- Prepares and analyzes weekly project updates for electrical engineering design progress for project management.
- Provides input to team members working on other areas of the project including solar, wind, and/or battery storage system, transmission line, SCADA, and foundation design.
- Works with designers to prepare construction drawings and documentation to effectively communicate with construction teams.
- Reviews work instructions periodically to ensure compliance with industry and client standards.
- Performs technical review of vendor equipment submittals to ensure acceptability to company, and client requirements and adherence to specifications and industry standards
- Perform factory visits to assess quality and materials for adherence to specifications.
- Visits project job sites as needed during pre-construction and construction activities to support project needs.
- Works independently, minimal supervision required.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Internally with Civil, Electrical / Mechanical Engineers and Designers, Project Managers, and Development, Estimating, and Construction Teams
- Externally with Clients and suppliers
- Oral and written skills to include:
- Technical and non-technical writing
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, vendors, and clients
- US and Canadian Industry Standards (i.e. - ANSI, IEEE, NEMA, UL, NFPA, and CSA)
- Equipment Specifications
- Electrical Design for Constructability
- Medium and High Voltage Substations
- Overhead and Underground MV and HV Design
- Utility Interconnection Facilities for Renewable Generation Facilities
- Grounding Systems
- Project Scheduling Concepts
- Power Systems Analysis (load flow, short circuit, protective device coordination, arc flash, harmonics, stability, grounding)
- Detailed Design Software:
- Fundamental understanding of AutoCAD.
- Fundamental knowledge of power system software such as DIgSILENT, PSS/E, PSLF, PSCAD ETAP, and/or SKM Power Tools
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE or P.Eng.) license preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience (8 years with Master’s degree).
- Must have a valid current driver license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Must be able to obtain a valid current passport to travel outside the U.S.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States; however, we currently are not providing visa sponsorship or hiring individuals who will need visa sponsorship in the future.
Anticipated base salary range: $115,000- $145,000
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.
- Transformers (Electrical)
- Canadian Standards Association
- High Voltage
- Project Management