Controls Engineer II
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable zero carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Summary: Renewable Energy Systems Americas, Inc. (RES-Americas), an expanding Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, and Transmission company, is seeking a Control Engineer based in the Broomfield, Colorado office. This position will be responsible for Control and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) engineering on renewable energy power plants and battery system facilities. Engineering experience with power and control systems, data acquisition and telecommunications are required. Field experience in Control systems, SCADA, power systems, testing/commissioning and/or telecommunications is a plus.
- Provide control and SCADA support on utility, distribution and demand side management projects for wind, battery and solar power systems during the development, construction and operations phases of each project
- Design standard control and SCADA systems that include: SCADA architecture drawings, physical and logical network diagrams and overall communication plan
- Generate control system design documentation including specifications, block diagrams, reports, testing/commissioning plans and quality/safety plans
- Interpret renewable energy power plant electrical schematics, industrial P&IDs, and battery system design
- Support the Development Department with preliminary design philosophy to support client relationships and new opportunities
- Manage consultants and subcontractors for Control and SCADA phone calls, deliverables, testing, and system completion
- Work closely with the client’s team, as well as RES’ project manager, construction manager, electrical manager, and project engineer to guarantee a quality system is installed and tested to RES specifications, contractual obligations, dispatch, utility and regional reliability council requirements
- Work closely with and as part of the Global Energy Management System (RESolve) Team based in the United Kingdom (UK) on standardized solutions and project customizations including regular global team communications.
- Program power plant substation Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), battery system PLCs, and communication hardware using standard ladder logic and network software and configuration files
- On site commissioning and testing of SCADA systems
- Troubleshoot power plant control and communication problems during construction and operations. Work will be done both remotely and onsite as needed
- Support the operations group to maintain reliability of energy facilities on the grid
- Familiarity with and ability to stay current regarding changing regulatory requirements
- Maintain project and department documentation in RES documentation control software
- Responsible to ensure SAFETY requirements are met
- Stay current with professional and industrial best practices
- Follow safety and security procedures and determine appropriate action (including reporting potentially unsafe conditions) and use materials and equipment properly
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Control System Design
- HMIs (Ignition SCADA Software)
- PLC’s (Rockwell Automation)
- RTU’s (SEL Real Time Automation Controller)
- Utility scale power plant controller
- Power Industry communication protocols (Modbus, DNP3, IEC61850)
- SQL and NoSQL servers
- Physical and Logical Networking/Purdue Model
- Energy storage systems
- Solar energy systems
- Demand side Management
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Must be willing to travel 25-50%
- Minimum 2-5 years of proven utility or industrial experience that includes a proven track record of working on large capital-industrial construction projects.
- Must be able to work professionally with clients, vendors, employees, managers and supervisors.
- Skilled in Studio 5000 Software, acSELerator RTAC Software, Ignition SCADA software.
- Employees must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess an appropriate valid driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk, climb and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United State; however, we currently are not providing visa sponsorship or hiring individuals who will need visa sponsorship in the future.
Anticipated base salary range: $72,000- $90,000
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. This position is bonus eligible.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.
- Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (Scada)
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Storage (Computing)
- Ladder Logic