The purpose of Boiler Technician is to maintain, diagnose, repair, rebuild, adjust, perform preventive maintenance and install equipment within and around the facility so as to keep the production operational and have zero loss of production. This individual will perform the duties of a Boiler Technician and assist other maintenance personnel on his/her shift and will be responsible for all necessary paperwork and documentation as they relate to the job.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the organization’s core values through active involvement in the quality improvement process.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows all safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
- Duties include maintenance and repair of boilers and boiler room auxiliary equipment such as pumps, steam and water valves, air compressors, and high pressure condensate.
- This position monitors load demands and starts or shuts down respective boilers, air compressors, and water pumps, to maintain the required steam, air, and water (cold, hot, re-use) output needed. Individual must be able to react to changes in load demands as required, including during emergencies
- Position will monitor chemical feed system for water treatment and make necessary test and adjustments to ensure correct chemical levels.
- Manipulates valves to control the flow of water and fuel and to increase or decrease steam, water, and air as required. Adjusts equipment controls to correct malfunctions if they occur.
- Observes operating equipment, meters, and gages to insure that operation is in accord with specified instructions. Inspects boiler safety devices.
- Reports abnormal operating conditions or major repair requirements to shift supervisor, and assists in implementing remedial action and logs all information down in daily log book of any repairs or corrections.
- Performs minor repairs, as necessary, such as replacing defective meters, packing valves, worn gaskets, tightening joints.
- Receives calls from departmental personnel regarding problems, such as lack of temperature control. Relays information to shift supervisor of maintenance performed and logs all information down in daily log book of any repairs or corrections.
- Maintains the boiler room and work area in a clean, orderly, and safe condition. May clean and paint equipment as necessary
- Assists in the annual boiler inspection and prepares boilers for annual inspection
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- High School Diploma or GED, required.
- The preferred applicant will have previous experience working as a Boiler Operator and will have experience in the maintenance and repair of boilers and accompanying equipment described above.
- Working knowledge of the principles and techniques involved in mechanical maintenance. Skill in the use of tools and equipment used in mechanical maintenance.
- Strong reading, math, writing, analytical, skills required. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to accurately record indicator readings.
- Basic knowledge of computers.
- Ability to perform assigned work tasks efficiently and independently with minimum supervision.
- Must have knowledge and up-to-date LOTO training through Smithfield.
- Must have up to date confined spaces training though Smithfield.
- Must have an up to date fall protection training through Smithfield.
- At least 4 + years in industrial mechanical maintenance preferably in a food manufacturing, preferred.
- Electrical experience and troubleshooting in control voltage and low voltage (up to 600V AC and DC) circuits, motors, and controls, preferred.
- Previous HAZMAT experience, preferred.
- Fork lift, genie lift, and scissor lift operator experience, preferred.
- Welding and pipe fitting experience, preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plant environment will include hot, dry, wet, damp, cold, slippery and loud conditions with moving parts, confined spaces, and vibrating parts.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Work conditions frequently include heights.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits