To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
5215 Holy Cross Parkway
Mishawaka, IN 46545
- Rosalyn Summerlin
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Registered Nurse/Surg 1st Asst - Surgery - Full Time
St. Joseph Health System • Mishawaka, IN
Posted 1 month ago
Minimum: $30.71 - Maximum: $42.63
Functions as a peri-operative registered nurse who works in collaboration with the surgeon and other health care team members to achieve optimal patient outcomes through application of the advanced knowledge, judgment, and skills specific to the expanded role of RNFA. First assisting behaviors are further refinements of peri-operative nursing practice and are executed within the context of the nursing process. These behaviors include certain delegated medical functions that can be assumed by the RN who is qualified to practice as an RNFA.
1. Actively demonstrates the organization's mission and core values, and conducts oneself at all times in a manner consistent with these values.
2. Knows and adheres to all laws and regulations pertaining to patient health, safety and medical information.
3. Manages preoperative patient care in collaboration with other health care providers, including performing focused preoperative nursing assessments, communicating and collaborating with other health care providers regarding the patient plan of care.
4. Demonstrates performance of surgical first-assistant techniques including using instruments and medical devices, providing surgical site exposure, handling and/or cutting tissue, providing hemostasis, and suturing.
5. Manages postoperative patient care in collaboration with other health care providers in the immediate postoperative period and beyond, such as participating in postoperative rounds, assisting with patient discharge planning, and identifying appropriate community resources as needed.
6. Completes complex and/or infrequently done procedures proficiently assisting colleagues as needed. Actively identifies opportunities to enhance teamwork.
7. Practices performance improvement standards and promotes staff participation in PI activities.
8. Evaluates the patient's response to care delivered and the level of outcome achievement.
9. Applies theoretical knowledge of asepsis, wound healing, infectious diseases process, surgical anatomy and physiology, safety issues and operative techniques for surgical procedures on which he/she assists.
10. Applies the following skills: principles of aseptic techniques, sutures, preparation of surgical site, draping, retracting, suctioning, hemostasis, dressing application, manual dexterity, knowledge of procedure anatomy, ability to follow directions, anticipate needs of surgeon/procedure and closure.
11. Prepares and demonstrates the specific uses of all equipment and supplies used for surgical procedures including: sterilizers, electrocautery machines, EKG monitors, fiberoptic equipment, internal stapling devices, pacemaker equipment, orthopedic tourniquets, microscope, air-powered equipment, lasers, specialty beds, hemodynamic monitors, and other specialty equipment.
12. Demonstrates clinical nursing expertise as described in the job description for Registered Nurse.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
Education: Graduate of an accredited school for professional nursing. BSN, preferred. MSN or Certification of specialty preferred. Completion of an RNFA program that is equivalent to one academic year of formal, post-basic nursing study, and meets the AORN standards for RN first assistant education programs.
Licensure: RN Indiana license. Certification in peri-operative nursing (CNOR). RNFA Certification.
Experience: RN for a minimum two years experience in Surgery.
Other Job Requirements:
Uses initiative and creativity in fulfilling the professional role. Functions as a teacher, consultant and leader.
Work is substantially complex and varied and requires the selection and application of technical and detailed guidelines. Analytical ability is needed to gather and interpret data where results/answers can be found after analysis of several facts.
Requires independent judgment to identify, select and apply the most appropriate of available guidelines and procedures as well as interpret precedent.
Remains flexible to the unit's needs and changing situations.
Assigned hours within your shift, starting time, or days of work are subject to change based on departmental and/or organizational needs.