Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it makes, OxyChem’s market position is No. 1 or No. 2 in the U.S.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Lab Analyst with our La Porte VCM plant located in La Porte, Texas.
Essential Job Duties:
- Promote and support a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible work environment. Follow all safety rules and policies.
- Support the process safety and risk management goals and objectives.
- Perform routine analyses, including control samples and calibration checks, without supervision.
- Strive to continuously improve the quality process.
- Perform unscheduled analyses with minimal guidance from laboratory management. Assist in training as required.
- Participate in site-wide process safety and risk reduction activities as requested.
- Proficiently operate instrumentation such as, analytical balances, spectrometers, Karl Fischer titrators, gas chromatographs, and flame AA.
- Accurately record results by computer or writing for use by Lab and plant personnel.
- Properly maintain all work sheets and applicable control charts.
- Coordinate activities closely with production, loading and utility personnel.
- Analyze samples in a timely manner.
- Practice good housekeeping.
- Develop and write new analytical methods.
- Four year degree in a related science (chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, zoology); or successfully completed a laboratory technician training program at a community college or technical school (equal to a two year Associates degree).
- Preferred minimum of 2 years’ experience with Gas Chromatography
- Preferred minimum of 2 years’ experience with wet testing such as titrations, pH, and specific gravity
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair instrument issues with minimal guidance.
- Must be knowledgeable in analytical methods and functions and be able to perform mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays as necessary. Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience with environmental sampling and sample handling.
- Experience with Agilent Gas Chromatographs and OpenLab/ChemStation software.
- Experience with Karl Fischer moisture titration
- Experience with Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- Experience with Thermo Sample Manager LIMS system.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.