At Hy-Vee our people are our strength. We promise "a helpful smile in every aisle" and those smiles can only come from a workforce that is fully engaged and committed to supporting our customers and each other.Job Description:Job Title:
As a cashier you'll be part of a growing innovative brand that prides itself on providing best in class customer service. We are looking for helpful smiles who enjoy working in a fast paced, customer focused environment.
The cashier provides fast and friendly service to customers, assists them with questions and request. Operates a cash register and the duties which correspond. Package product, work with drive-up and/or carry-out. Replenishes product as needed.Core Competencies:
- Growth mindset
- Results oriented
- Customer focused
Accountable and Reports to: District Store Director; Store Manager; Assistant Managers of GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Service Managers
Positions that Report to you: NonePrimary Duties and Responsibilities
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by:
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly when called upon and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Operates cash register accurately and scans product, (where applicable).
- Redeems promotional coupons, food stamps, WIC checks, issues rain checks, receives cash, checks, completes credit-card charge transactions, in-store charges and figures discounts, as well as, counts back change and issues receipts.
- Places merchandise in bags or boxes, gives packages to customers, and assists courtesy personnel as needed.
- Answers customer questions and concerns and follows-up with appropriate personnel.
- Understands and follows local, state, and company policies on sales of tobacco, liquor, and lottery tickets.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines regarding WIC and food stamps.
- Required to know value, look-up numbers, department numbers, and features of items for which money is received.
- Stocks, faces, rotates merchandise, cleans shelves, understands shelf tags, knows location of merchandise in the store and also in the back room, and takes customers to an item when requested.
- Perceives immediate surroundings for customer needs and problems for store safety and security.
- Communicates clearly and distinctly on the intercom or telephone system.
- Reviews weekly store ad to note price changes and sale items.
- Keeps register area clean, ensures adequate supplies are ready and available, reports improper cash levels in cash drawer, and helps maintain the store appearance.
- Compares totals on cash register with amount of currency in register to verify balances at the beginning and end of work shift, (where applicable).
- May give cash refunds or issue credit memorandums to customers for returned merchandise or know where to direct the customer.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Assists store management as required (i.e., store displays, decorations for special promotion/events).
- Knows code dates on perishable items and can explain to customers.
- Changes register tape and ribbons as necessary.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
- Must be able to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
- Must have the ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Have the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies verbally or in writing.
No education or experience requirements.Physical Requirements:
- Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. (Can be accommodated)
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
This position is frequently exposed to temperature extremes and possible dampness. There are possible equipment movement hazards from a pallet jack, electrical shock, and exposure to chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Pallet jack, box cutter, cash registers, trash compactor, fork lift, calculator, telephone, intercom, cardboard compactor, copier, fax (within wage and hour guidelines).
Are you ready to smile, apply today.
- Customer Demand Planning
- Customer Satisfaction
- Customer Service