This is an extended duration posting for future openings for the -Supervisor, Special Contruction position. Applications will be continuously assessed. Minimum Qualifications Education
- High School Diploma or possession of a general equivalency diploma (GED)
- Four (4) years of experience in the applied building, support equipment and plant maintenance field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Preferred Medical Group
- Possession of a valid District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia motor vehicle operator's permit issued from jurisdiction of residence
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Job Summary
The Supervisor, Special Construction is responsible for technical, supervisory and contract administration work with special construction projects and programs for the Office of Plant Maintenance (PLNT). The incumbent plans, coordinates and supervises multiple special projects and new construction associated with equipment, buildings, structures, paved surfaces, grounds, and related properties. The incumbent oversees field activities that are performed by contractors. Essential Functions
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Other Functions
- Assists in the development of scope of work for contracts and services. Directs the field activities of contractors, ensures schedule adherence, ensures adequate technical inspection of work, evaluates work quality, and contractors' performance.
- Initiates corrective actions to ensure timely completion of Bus Services (BUS), and Rail Services (RAIL) facilities and other special projects. Plans, executes and evaluates special projects. Prepares technical specifications and details. Evaluates and recommends acceptance of offers from vendors and contractors in accordance with the Authority's procurement policies and procedures. Coordinates activities between appropriate Authority offices.
- Supervises and evaluates employees of various trades or skills, involved in the performance of special construction projects and programs. Assigns tasks to work crews in accordance with established priorities. Ensures work crews are properly equipped and familiar with work requirements, methods, and procedures. Reviews work in progress for compliance with standards. Adjusts assignments and methods to meet changing requirements. Coordinates with and assists other functional departments.
- Directs various employees to repair, renovate, replace, and overhaul of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)'s facilities and equipment. Acts as site supervisor and coordinator for various employees and contractors for multi-craft jobs.
- Oversees acquisition, allocation, accountability and management of facilities, equipment, and supplies assigned or given to contractors and employees for special construction. Requisitions materials, parts, and tools and ensures their proper use, care, and security.
- Verifies project cost estimates and schedules. Develops detailed work plans and schedules for labor hours, materials, and equipment for special projects. Provides the Project Manager timely information and reports on project status and problem resolution. Uses computerized project management tracking and reporting system to capture information on budget, expenditures, delivery schedules, and vendor or supplier information.
- Completes administrative reports, enters data into enterprise systems using personal computer and other devices. Monitors and flags problems and initiates corrective actions to ensure completion of special projects within budget and on schedule.
- Performs quality and productivity inspections of work performed by WMATA employees and by contractors to ensure adherence to all standards. Reports problems and task status to PLNT management. Interprets maintenance manuals, schematics and drawings for assigned crews. Serves as Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR).
- Responds effectively and in a timely manner to inquiries made by Authority organizations; maintains effective work relationships with other Authority facilities and offices.
- Attends and passes the required safety training classes and continuously learns industry best practices for working safely and efficiently. Performs assignments according to established safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
- Responds to and assists during severe weather and other emergencies. Provides immediate maintenance support to protect assets.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with those individuals and organizations with whom interaction and cooperation is required.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.