To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Linthicum Heights, MD
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Payroll Specialist / UMMS @ Linthicum, MD
University of Maryland Medical System • Linthicum Heights, MD
Posted 12 hours ago
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Payroll Specialist for our Linthicum location.
*** High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) and 3 years of progressive experience in all aspects of payroll processing including preparing salary and wage garnishments and completing government required tax forms is REQUIRED***
Under general supervision, assists the payroll supervisor in preparing UMMS payroll using routine and complex pay computations to calculate working hours, tax deductions, or investigating other pay irregularities. Audits payroll changes for accuracy, and prepares special payroll related reports as directed.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Works closely with the Payroll Supervisor on specified projects, gathering data and preparing reports using basic accounting principles. Checks and verifies accuracy of employee payments, and assists medical system departments in creating reports concerning payroll information.
2. Responds to and resolves inquiries regarding pay and leave questions. Answers telephone or in-person inquiries regarding payment and leave questions from employees or supervisors, consults with Payroll Supervisor or Manager on more complex issues.
A. Explains payroll calculations and deductions to employees, investigates problems and makes appropriate corrections.
B. Answers verification inquires regarding employee salary, annual income, workers compensation, and miscellaneous employee pay information according to departmental procedure.
C. Responds to questions concerning direct deposit. Contacts bank regarding accounts and routing numbers, stopping payments on accounts, as necessary.
3. Inputs data changes from Employee Data Change Forms such as vacation accruals or tax information into the computer system, and reviews data for completeness and accuracy. Processes information that is entered by the HRIS department regarding employee data changes, including changes in personal information, salary, job title, transfers, and other pertinent information for accuracy and completeness.
A. Audits payroll changes prior to releasing batches of data from the Payroll system for production of payroll check. Contacts HRIS department to resolve any questions.
B. Reviews and processes more complicated data changes, involving more complex calculations or special considerations. Files paperwork after processing changes.
4. Checks computer records for W-2 forms, benefit accruals, pension and other eligibility information, making adjustments as data change form indicates.
A. Monitors leave balances based on the Departmental Leave Balance sheet for each employee. Maintains records regarding UMMS paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave availability on all eligible employees. Distributes Labor Distribution Report, quarterly, listing leave time used and available for each cost center. Sorts and distributes by cost center.
5. Reviews and checks employee time records submitted by various UMMS departments for consistency and accuracy in accordance with UMMS policies and procedures and clarifies inconsistencies with department supervisors.
A. Calculates and verifies weekly time records for overtime, special adjustments, payment and leave balances, ensuring proper payment. Calculates tax deductions, benefits and other deductions for unusual or changed payroll data.
B. Collects, separates, sorts, summarizes, and distributes time sheets by cost cent for payroll check processing. Sorts and batches information for data processing input and control.
C. Stuffs and distributes payroll checks and direct deposit memos to individual departmental units and individuals. May contact banks to establish new-direct accounts and to resolve problems regarding direct deposit.
6. Generates emergency checks for various reasons, such as lost check replacement, clerical mistakes or data input errors in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
7. Processes cancellations on pay checks that are overpayments or checks paid to terminated employees in error with the approval of the supervisor.
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
2. Three years of progressive experience in all aspects of payroll processing including preparing salary and wage garnishments and completing government required tax forms is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of state, local and federal tax laws and regulations, along with routine accounting/bookkeeping practices is required.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of basic mathematical calculations including percentage, addition, subtraction, multiplication, to manipulate numbers using a calculator.
3. Proficiency with MS Office software, such as Microsoft Excel for developing payroll-related reports is required. Ability to operate a personal computer, photocopier, and other routinely used office equipment is required
4. Ability to demonstrate positive customer service skills are required. Proficient problem solving skills are required to successfully resolve difficult payroll related discrepancies.
5. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking payroll-related information.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.