Leonardo DRS, Inc.
DRS Technologies is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Finmeccanica S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance.
For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at URL blocked - click to apply.
DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) a multi-site operation responsible for $350 million of revenue with locations in Milwaukee, WI, Bridgeport &Danbury, CT, Fitchburg, MA, and High Ridge, MO with an employee base of approximately 900 employees. NPS is structured into four Lines of Business: Surface, Submarines, Nuclear Instrumentation and Controls and Marlo Coil focusing on supporting the power and propulsion needs of the U.S. Navy. We provide engineering, manufacturing and lifetime support of our highly engineered products.
NPS is a trusted provider of power and control technology for a range of commercial and Defense markets. We deliver quality, customer-focused products and support solutions for the U.S. Navy, our allies and our commercial partners. We are innovation leaders in power dense and efficient electrical power and propulsion solutions with our products meeting the most stringent of specifications.
Job Location Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg Massachusetts is a community of ~41,000 people is located 10 miles from New Hampshire and 50 miles from Boston. Despite being one of the largest cities in the county, Fitchburg retains its small town flavor. Fitchburg boasts excellent access via highway or MBTA commuter train to all points. One can choose to live in any type of area; be it urban, suburban, or rural; all within a short commute to Fitchburg.
DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Project Engineer to bridge the boundaries between project management and engineering. We are placing key emphasis on providing our customers with engineering solutions that are focused on their requirements and exceed their expectations. This role is central to the success and growth of our business. This established broad technical role is responsible for leading and coordinating concurrent technical projects involving system-level engineering, component design and advanced analyses. As part of regular activities, this role will have significant supplier and customer interaction.
This highly-visible leadership position includes the estimating, planning, budgeting, and coordination of U.S. military and niche commercial projects ranging from $5M - $150M+. The day-to-day focus entails leadership and management of multidisciplinary project team(s) ranging from 3-10+ engineers. Critical to success in the role is the ability to couple project management and engineering skills.
The job requires independent actions within a matrix team. It requires that the individual to develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of our products, systems and services. He or she must use this knowledge to coordinate engineering work scope. The ideal candidate is an individual possessing engineering team leadership skills combined with strong mechanical and/or electrical engineering skills. The ability to, in concert with the Program Office, set a technical vision for a project and influence its adoption, while motivating the team, is a key skillset.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute the technical work scope to the required quality, schedule and budget.
- Develop project plans and pre-contract proposal estimates based on:
- Robust basis of estimates
- Design verification plan
- Technical reviews
- Risk management
- Resource demands
- Lead technical teams in design and development of challenging products and systems
- Confidently and competently represent DRS in front of customers, including the US Navy
- Contribute directly to project success through individual technical contributions, as required
- Clearly communicate and present technical and programmatic information to technical and non-technical individuals
- Manage drawing, schematic, bill of material, and software releases to support technical projects
- Collaboration with other departments, DRS locations, and suppliers to solve problems and develop the best overall solutions
- Bachelor of Science degree from a 4 year accredited college or university in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience
- 3+ years of experience and an established track record in project engineering or an engineering leadership role
- Proven experience with the product development cycle from concept to qualified/fielded systems
- Experience in the electric machines, marine/naval equipment, or equivalent industry
- US citizen
- Experience with execution of programs for the US military or foreign navies
- Familiarity with industrial and military design specifications
- Experience with the development of electric machines, electric motor/drive systems, electro-mechanical systems, or other power machinery
- Experience with marine gas turbines and/or diesel engines
- Experience designing/developing marine equipment
- Specific experience with large (1MW+) permanent magnet electric machines
- System Engineering experience
- Project Management Professional certification
- Active security clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS