Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Senior Accountants play a meaningful role in supporting Grainger’s strategy by assuring effective end-to-end processes and controls in addition to timely and accurate financials. Through extensive review, analysis, interpreting of financial metrics and benchmarking, they also deliver valuable insights to help instill a Controllership mindset across the organization. Senior Accountants are not only expected to drive a disciplined approach, but are also empowered to seek creative solutions.
This position has various responsibilities, including income tax accounting, and interfaces with both finance and non-finance professionals across multiple business units, providing tax and other accounting support for business decisions.
This role supports Grainger’s strategy by being critical to the closing process and will perform extensive preparation, review, analysis and reporting, including balance sheet and P&L analytics, calculating and interpreting financial metrics per the rules and guidance of ASC 740.
In addition, there is an opportunity to play a meaningful cross-functional role in the Controllership model and work in analysis, accounting and financial reporting for equity-based compensation, equity transactions, earnings per share calculation, and goodwill, among other key areas of Finance.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply GAAP while executing all requested Controllership activities in an accurate and timely manner. Ensure assigned GL accounts are accurately stated and substantiated. Leverage Blackline to automate and streamline the closing process.
- Apply ASC 740- Accounting for income taxes- in the preparation and analysis of the quarterly and annual effective tax rate, deferred taxes, tax related balance sheet reconciliations, tax impact of stock based compensation and equity accounts, provision to return, and tax footnotes.
- Effectively communicate results to Senior Management and external auditors.
- Complete tax balance sheet and income statement analytics and explain business reasons for large variances. Calculate key metrics and explain deviations to historical period.
- Understand and clearly articulate the processes that impact areas of responsibility.
- Partner and effectively collaborate and communicate with cross-functional teams to ensure consideration from a tax accounting perspective from both a GAAP and non-GAAP perspective.
- Perform benchmarking to assess performance against competition
- Ensure all assigned key and operating controls over financial reporting are designed and operating effectively.
- Conduct technical accounting research and document conclusions. Maintain and prepare adequate process documentation as necessary..
- Drive continuous improvement by automating, refining, and implementing processes and tools within Controllership and supporting business functions.
- Assess risks and opportunities and identify key operational and financial issues to be addressed. Provide recommendations and influence business decisions.
- Collaborate and assist cross functional business partners to execute strategic initiatives and investigate and resolve issues.
- Respond to ad hoc reporting and analysis requests on a timely and accurate basis.
- Embracing cross-functional opportunities in our Controllership model and work in analysis, accounting and financial reporting for equity-based compensation, equity transactions, earnings per share calculation, and goodwill, among other key areas of Finance.
- Be pro-active, responsive and practical business partner as well as an effective communicator to senior management, business partners and auditors.
- Accept new responsibilities as business needs change.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience and background in ASC 740- Accounting for Income Tax
- Excellent analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, big picture thinking, ability to challenge the status quo and determine how controllership activities can be planned and executed more effectively and efficiently
- Understanding end to end processes, identification of critical risks to assess whether controls are designed and operating effectively
- Financial statement acumen, including knowledge of connectivity between Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements in addition to disclosure requirements
- Understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), with research and implementation of new accounting standards as necessary
- Adherence to deadlines, especially during the monthly and quarterly close process. Additional hours may be required during close cycles
- Self-starter and ability to work independently, solve problems, and achieve results while managing multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to understand the details and effectively share with Senior Management in a clear and concise manner
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships and influence decision making
- Agility and flexibility to operate in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
- Outstanding work ethic, team-oriented and customer-focused
- Drive to learn about different areas of the business, as well as a desire to strengthen financial acumen through diverse experiences and opportunities
- Experience with SAP, BPC and Blackline are desired
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of CorpTax or similar tax provision software a plus
- Adherence to deadlines, especially during the annual and quarterly close process is critical
- Additional hours may be required during the monthly close cycles
- Limited travel may be required
This position has a key impact on the organization by ensuring the timely and accurate accounting. Ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and SEC requirements. Any error, either in amount or classification, has an impact on the Company’s reported results. Any error could also cause Company or operating management to take incorrect action. Furthermore, this position assists management in making informed decisions.
Sr. Tax Accountants interact with several teams within Finance and outside of Finance in order to build partnerships that add business value. These partnerships may include:
- Internal within Finance: FP&A, Financial Reporting, Internal Audit, Global Internal Controls, Treasury, Shared Controllership Services, AR/AP, Credit and Collections, Tax
- Internal, outside of Finance: Supply Chain, Supplier Management, Enterprise Systems, Sales Operations, Marketing, Payroll & Benefits, HR, Legal, Indirect Procurement
- External: External auditors, third party consultants
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.
Standard Accounting Practices