The purpose of the Operator Helper is to provide assistance as needed to the Operators in the asphalt production process. Good mechanical skills, basic computer skills (training available) and good team communication skills are required by the job. This job requires excellent self-direction working alone, or in small teams with little direct supervision.Responsibilities
- Notify your supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on-the-job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and every day and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety.
- Fix unsafe conditions and report them immediately to supervisor.
- Certify and operate in all of the following areas: Truck Loading and Unloading and Boiler Incinerator. Required to train and obtain a Boiler Operator License from the State of New Jersey.
- Perform the administrative tracking tasks of data entry, BOL processing, production entry, receiving, and general organization.
- Be able to climb up to three floors of stairs, read panel displays, use operations manuals for troubleshooting, use full upper body movement for process, stand up to twelve hours with breaks.
- Become certified to operate a forklift.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training.
- Participate in projects and collaborate with Maintenance to facilitate equipment repairs.
- Know and follow all plant environmental control policies and procedures.
- Meet team expectations such as reliability, teamwork, and process improvement. Maintain and improve productivity teamwork, quality and safety.
- Complies with good housekeeping practices on the job.
- Follows all environmental compliance polices and programs.
- Comply with all plant rules.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Regular Attendance on site and ability to rotate to varying shifts.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Good communication skills.
- Accountability and ownership for actions.
- Able to think under pressure and make quick decisions.
- Ability to work well in a team or alone.
- Able to communicate in English.
- Ability to read a tape measure and do basic math.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Must be able to operate a computer or other keyboard instrument.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Manufacturing or Asphalt production experience is a plus
- Forklift knowledge useful
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to stand for ten to twelve hours straight.
- Able to climb and descend stairs for up to twelve hours continuously.
- Lift and push and pull fifty pounds. More than one hundred times per day.
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for twelve hours.
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely.
- Exposure to temperature extremes.
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable.
- Bending and twisting.
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools, or control.
- Repetitive movements.
- Able to climb on and off a forklift.