Join Amcor and you can be part of the team that makes the packaging of the future better for people and our planet.
Here at Amcor, we work together every day to make a positive impact on the lives of millions of people across the globe by providing packaging for essential products, including food, beverages, pharmaceutical, medical, home and personal-care.
We are sustainability leaders in our industry. We are the first global packaging company to commit to make all our products recyclable or reusable by 2025.
Our products are vital to support the lives of millions of people across the globe every day.
We are always looking for talented and passionate individuals who are motivated to make a difference. Working at Amcor means you will have a unique opportunity to be a part of an organisation that is committed to innovating and driving new solutions to create more sustainable packaging solutions.
To find out more about our commitment to sustainability and about Amcor, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager I [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager I [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager I [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager I [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager I [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager
At Amcor Rigid Packaging (ARP), our teams are focused on developing and making plastic bottles and jars that create a unique experience and are better for the environment. Our bottles and jars are primarily made from PET (polyethylene terephthalate), which has rapidly become the world’s preferred packaging material. PET is lightweight, shatterproof, recloseable, resealable, reusable and infinitely recyclable*.
With approximately 6,000 people across about 50 manufacturing operations in 11 countries and an annual revenue of US$2.9 Billion, ARP provides rigid packaging solutions to the beverage, pharmaceutical, food, and home and personal care segments.
Learn more about the many benefits of PET bottles [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Indirect Category Manager
*with existing technologies including chemical recycling
Amcor Rigid Packaging
Indirect Category Manager
Ann Arbor, MI
Continuously reduce the total cost of ownership and secure supply for Packaging, Professional Services, IT/Telecom and Travel. Establish strategies and lead initiatives that will enable the implementation of strategic procurement objectives in assigned areas of spend while working closely with various operational/functional roles and locations. Also responsible for driving best performance in line with Amcor’s strategic objectives while assuring compliance with customer and regulatory requirements.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assume leadership role in the development and deployment of global commodity/category strategies that align with the Business Group and Business Unit’s overall procurement strategy.
- Guide and collaborate with stakeholders towards the common commodity/category strategy.
- Design KPIs, track progress and adjust strategies to ensure continual improvement of Cost and Supply Base performance.
- Optimization on total cost of ownership by leveraging fact-based elements, i.e. supplier price breakdown, including processing cost obtained either through internal calculations, external benchmarking, market driven pricing, etc. to support the assigned commodity/category strategy execution to meet ProcurePlus business objectives.
- Define, collaborate and execute negotiation strategy, negotiation schedule and supplier selection criteria to support the assigned commodity/category strategy execution to meet ProcurePlus business objectives.
- Identify supply risks to supply/cost and develop plan to mitigate risks.
- Develop a point team with a broad range of commercial, technical and organizational skills to ensure high leverage in supplier selection, approval, negotiations and performance management.
- Develop supply base and sourcing staff performance measurements/metrics and plans and manage results to meet targets and report progress.
- Engage with functional/operational stakeholders and other subject matter experts to ensure sourcing strategy is aligned to and capitalizes on supplier’s technology/product roadmaps to drive innovation
Supplier selection & approval:
- Overall responsibility for identification, evaluation and the approval process of new suppliers that meet Amcor performance standards and compliance requirements. Drive cross functional teams including but not limited to Quality, Operations, Functional and Engineering in this undertaking.
- Leverage current supply base or identify new suppliers to support new product launches / initiatives.
- Develop Global/Regional Contracts and/or Make vs Buy refresh cycle or outsourcing opportunities.
Pricing & Cost:
- Understand markets to know who the leaders in pricing, technology and service are and drive to the lowest possible total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Work with Functional, Engineering, Operations, Commodity/category Managers, Sourcing functions, Logistics and the supply base to develop target-cost and low-cost alternatives. Understand all the components of related costs to know where opportunities exist that need to be addressed. Regularly organize and conduct pricing benchmarks and competitive analysis.
- Utilize and develop a broad skill set of RFQ, Benchmarking and negotiation methodologies. Continuously improve technical, commercial and negotiation capabilities to ensure versatility in supplier meetings.
- Drive commodity and category-level improvement programs on cost, quality excellence, and supply chain at suppliers. Develop and maintain a portfolio of cost saving projects that meet Amcor targets for spend cost reduction.
- Lead negotiation of agreements that address the global needs of Amcor including, but not limited to price, delivery, quality and other required services. Lead negotiation with industry benchmarks / pricing targets / data (fact-based negotiations) and knowledge sharing. Responsible for provision of commercial sourcing expertise to all functional budget holders.
- Drive standardization (processes, design, requirements, specifications)
- Conduct various buying analyses and spend evaluations on an on-going basis.
- Full utilization of Sourcing and RFx and eProcurement tools, such as E-Auctions, Catalogues, etc. (as applicable)
- Ensure maximum leverage through consolidation of entity, region, division and global demand.
Supply Base Development & Management:
- Establish long term and cost competitive supplier relationships at high performance standards. Lead category quarterly supplier performance assessment through balanced scorecards to drive world class performance.
- Lead reviews with Functional, Divisional and Plant Stakeholders to develop a preferred supply base and drive supplier consolidation.
- Drive the efforts to move business away from suppliers that are not preferred. Work with all stakeholders to understand the right number of suppliers required. Minimize the amount of business with smaller suppliers or where the Amcor spend is insignificant. Minimize risk and secure supply.
- Assess, rate and minimize risk regularly and lead mitigation efforts. Indemnify Amcor through implementation of contracts, including but not limited to Terms & Conditions, Quality and Supply Agreements.
- Drive IT integration with key suppliers to automate transactions and communication.
- Total Supply Base Performance and Management on Technology Roadmaps, lead-time reduction, Inventory turns, Cost improvement and Supply Assurance. Implement common Supply Strategies (Inco Terms, Mode, VMI, CRP, etc)
- Build Supplier Relationship and drive Partnership to secure access and collaboration with Supplier Executive Management. Drive Supplier Partnership and Collaboration at all levels.
- Always ensure the Supply Base and Amcor procurement operates within the framework of regulatory and legal requirements. These include but are not limited to compliance with Safety, Environmental, SOX, Tax, Customs and Ethical requirements and spend guidelines.
- Gain understanding and acceptance of respective documents, such as the Amcor Code of Conduct, Amcor Terms and Conditions and cover any other requirements through Supply Agreements. Coordinate efforts with other Amcor Global Product Divisions to ensure consistency with common suppliers and categories.
- Setting standards and ensure compliance through spend classification.
- Actively support integration of procurement systems and tools, i.e. P2P, to improve business performance. Identify and communicate all system and process gaps to ensure sustainability of ProcurePlus value creation and capability development.
- Develop budgets and targets based on aggressive, well founded, realistic and forward oriented goals.
- Ensure that financial resource allocation is cost-effective and aligned with strategic and operational plans.
- Build an accurate forecast for Category price movements and market trends.
- Track and report savings, support procure-to-pay process improvement within the Category area, monitor TCO improvement as well as working capital improvement using the tracking tools in place.
- Provide periodic and ad hoc reports and forecasts on performance against plan and potential in following up on KPIs and reporting on trends.
- Build strong rapport with suppliers to position ARP as a preferred and trusted business partner and ensure an uninterrupted supply of quality goods at optimum cost.
- Work closely with buyers at Amcor plants to establish alignment with strategy and enable changes necessary to drive improvements.
- Collaborate closely with relevant departments to ensure understanding and compliance with key procurement strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college required
- Master’s degree in Supply Chain, Business Administration preferred
- Certification: Preferred PMP, C.P.M., CPSM, CPSD, CPIM or CSCP
- Other education: Preferred Six Sigma, Should Cost Modeling, Change Management, Project Management
- Minimum seven years of experience in Procurement leading cross functional teams with direct supervisory experience working in a matrix structured environment at a world class company
- Minimum three years of experience managing indirect categories like Packaging, Professional Services, IT, Telecom, and Travel
- Experience in the manufacturing industry with multi state locations
- Excellent analytic, problem solving, decision making, team building, project management, strategic development, and change management skills
- Skilled negotiator/results oriented with a track record of delivering cost savings and comprehensive knowledge of sourcing and category management
- Proven communication and organizational skills. Ability to write reports and business correspondence and maintain business procedure documentation
- Ability to interact and collaborate with various levels of people internally and externally. Ability to work cross-functionally, influence behaviors, and gain consensus
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks. Ensure issues are addressed immediately and appropriate stake holders are kept informed
- Understanding of general finance and make/buy analysis. Understanding of contractual terms and conditions and how to mitigate risks
- Strong data manipulation skills in Microsoft applications and working knowledge of company information and data systems used by Procurement (SAP, Ariba, etc.)
Amcor is a thriving S&P 500 organisation listed both on the NYSE (AMCR) and ASX (AMC) with US$13 billion in sales. We have a proud history dating back to the 1860’s and come a long way from a single paper mill based in Melbourne to becoming the global leading packaging company. Today, Amcor is an international organisation empowering its 50,000 employees in over 40 countries and across 250 sites.
At Amcor we believe in talent through diversity and promote equal opportunity in the workplace and recognise that discrimination and harassment of co-workers based on race, creed, disability, gender, marital or maternity status, religious or political beliefs, age or sexual orientation is unlawful.
Business Process Improvement