Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Come join our team to work on the next generation information solutions platform supporting Optum Technology and UnitedHealthcare! We are building a data platform utilizing the newest tools and engineering practices and are looking for a Product Owner (PO) to help us deliver our vision. Candidates will be able to follow their passions due to the broad array of technologies this position will cover: front end and back end development, data management, data analysis, cloud technologies, automation, API development, and infrastructure. You'll get to work with a diverse group of people from varying backgrounds and skill levels, giving you many opportunities to both mentor and learn from others. In 2020, our platform delivered over 2.5 million dollars in cost savings to the company, and we are planning on building upon that success in 2021 with the help of a Product Owner like you!
The Product Owner (PO) will be a member of our Technical Platform Team that is responsible for the performance of the platform while developing and enhancing existing functionality to be consumed by our other scrum teams. The PO will be responsible for defining Stories and prioritizing the Team Backlog to streamline the execution of program priorities while maintaining the conceptual and technical integrity of the Features or components for the team. The PO has a significant role in maximizing the value produced by the team and ensuring stories meet our actual needs and comply with the Definition of Done. The Product Owner will need to utilize their technical background to solve complex problems and roadblocks for engineering and leadership, while also having a knowledgeable background in Agile Scrum in order to create a backlog, accept stories, and create product roadmaps. This role has significant relationships and responsibilities outside the local team, including working with Product Management, Customers, Business Owners, additional engineering teams, architecture teams, and other stakeholders.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Assesses and interprets customer needs and requirements
- Identifies solutions to non-standard requests and problems
- Using a data driven approach to solve complex problems
- Works with minimal guidance; seeks guidance on only the most complex tasks
- Translates concepts into practice
- Provides explanations and information to others on difficult issues
- Experience using Agile Scrum
- Coaches, provide feedback, and guide others
The individual fulfilling the Product Owner role should:
- Enjoy working closely with engineers and other Product Owners
- Be adept at engaging with users to discover requirements or enhancements to existing features
- Have a deep respect for the unpredictability of software development, e.g. acceptance that technical roadblocks surfacing at the least convenient time (Murphy’s Law)
- Be comfortable making decisions with limited data or time
- Writing good user stories, acceptance criteria, and leading grooming sessions
- Be highly involved in release planning and road mapping
- Play an integral role in sprint ceremonies
- Preparation and Participation in Sprint Planning to determine the team’s sprint objectives for the upcoming sprint(s)
- Responsible for building, editing, and maintaining the team backlog. Consisting mostly of user stories, it also includes defects, tasks and dependencies
- Updates the team backlog and typically reviews and creates the program vision, Roadmap, and content presentations
- Works with the team to agree on accepted story completion to validate that the story meets acceptance criteria, that it has the appropriate, persistent acceptance tests, that it otherwise complies with its Definition of Done (DoD)
- Understands complex interdependencies– While POs are not expected to make architectural decisions, they need to understand the scope of upcoming work and collaborate with Architecture/Engineering in advance to assist with decision-making and sequencing
- Participates in the retrospective, where the teams gather to improve their processes
- Actively seeks opportunities to assist engineering staff in removing roadblocks, understanding problems, or completing pre-work for development
- Responsible for data driven decisions and utilizing data driven measurements
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of Product ownership
- 3+ years of working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- 3+ years of experience managing a roadmap and backlog
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Experience working in highly technical teams
- Experience managing platform migrations, integrations or infrastructure engineering
- Experience driving UI/UX development
- Experience with Business Intelligence platforms and concepts (API development, Data Models, Data Platforms, Dashboard development, Report creation)
- Proficiency with MS Office, Aha!, and Rally
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical backgrounds
- Excellent time management, organizational, and prioritization skills and ability to balance multiple priorities
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drugfree workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Technical Product Owner, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota, Work At Home, Remote, Work From Home, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting