Join us in creating a sustainable future and becoming a protector of tomorrow!
Covanta in Newark, NJ is seeking an experienced Electrical and Instrumentation Technician who will handle routine and emergency maintenance of the facility's industrial electrical and control systems and equipment.
As part of a small team, the Electrical and Instrumentation Technician will work safely to maintain, diagnose, and repair all types of power plant equipment, this includes maintenance related to: boilers and its associated electrical and control equipment, repair and operation of field controllers, instrumentation, motor control centers and other power plant electrical equipment ranging from 120V to 13.8kv, and AC switchgear.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Perform maintenance and testing of low and medium voltage switchgear, circuit breakers, motor starters, and power transformers.
* Perform maintenance of higher voltage switchyard equipment and steam turbine driven generators.
* Perform electrical maintenance work related to energy from waste boilers and its associated equipment, including but not limited to; pumps, fans, motors, conveyors & refuse cranes.
* Perform electrical maintenance work related to energy from waste air pollution control systems.
* Trouble shoot, assess, inspect, adjust, and make repairs as needed to the Continuous Emissions Motoring System (CEMS) as well as all facility flow, pressure, temperature, and level instrumentation. This included but not limited to; transmitter flow devices, level controls, temperature measurement, and flue gas analysis equipment.
* Trouble shoot, assess, inspect and adjust, and make repairs, as needed to the Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and historian devices.
* Perform preventative maintenance task including routine calibration, thermography and ultrasonic testing.
* Operate various calibration equipment and perform electrical and instrumentation maintenance and repair work as assigned using proper Covanta safety practices.
* Troubleshoot electrical and instrumentation problems and complete all maintenance work records.
* Actively participate in plant shutdown work including teardown inspection of electrical plant equipment.
* Maintain work area and tools in clean and orderly manner as well as performing plant and shop housekeeping chores.
* Complete Covanta safety, compliance, and other required training / certification within the assigned timelines.
* Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the E&I management team.
* High school diploma and formal technical or apprentice training required.
* A minimum of five years of experience as a maintenance electrician in a power plant or a similar field.
* Strong working knowledge of 120V to 13.8kv, AC switchgear is required.
* The ability to work from layout plans and blueprints for electrical equipment installation or troubleshooting work is required.
* A minimum of 3-5 years' experience in the understanding & repair of PLCs, DCS/ Baily systems, VFDs and Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems (CEMs) and can display proper use of calibration & testing equipment is necessary
* A minimum E-2 Journeyman Electrician license is preferred.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, maintenance instructions, and other procedure manuals.
* This position requires being on call on a rotating basis as well as working overtime based on plant needs.
* Frequently exposed to high temperatures and outside weather conditions.
* Working near moving machinery as well as noisy and dusty environments; must be able to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) to include a negative pressure respirator in accordance with OSHA Regulation 29 CFR 1910.134.
* Climbing ladders and structures; must be able to tolerate heights.
* Frequently required to stand, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach.
* Lifting up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision ability required by this job included close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf). Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting us at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Instrument and Controls Technician (Sign-On Bonus Eligible)
- Air Pollution Control
- Control Systems
- Distributed Control Systems
- Electrical Installation Work