Asst, Lab II - Histology - Roanoke, VA - Monday-Friday 6:00 AM - 2:30 PM
The Histology Laboratory Assistant II position is an entry level position for an individual with prior laboratory experience. The individual will perform routine and limited non-routine functions to aid in the preparation of histopathology samples. The individual will work under general supervision of trained, certified histotechnicians and/or histotechnologists.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Under general supervision and according to policies and procedures, perform routine and limited non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s).
2. Receive/collect, label and prepare tissue specimens for gross dissection.
3. Process paperwork associated with accessioning and reporting.
4. Monitor inventory, requisition and order supplies prior to depletion, stock and maintain laboratory supplies.
5. May run and/or monitor pending lists.
6. May generate and maintain department statistics.
7. Operate, clean, and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware, and instruments. Maintain a clean workstation in the grossing area.
8. Prepare reagents for tissue processing and routine slide staining, under direct supervision.
9. Perform routine H&E staining either manually or automated.
10. Perform coverslipping of stained slides either manually or automated.
11. Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment.
12. With appropriate education and training, may assist technical staff with limited technical functions (Contact MQA-AP for specific guidance).
13. Responsible for all assigned clerical duties associated with the Histology laboratory.
14. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information concerning patients, physicians, employees, clients, vendors, and the Company.
15. Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
16. Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
17. Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
18. Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
1. High School Education or equivalent.
2. 1 year of histopathology or other laboratory experience
3. Good clerical, organizational and communication skills.
4. 1 year of experience handling PHI and other patient information using an LIS
5. Basic knowledge of operating non-complex instrumentation.
1. College level science courses
2. 3 years of histopathology or other laboratory experience, including providing support to pathologists.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to physically, audibly, and visually perform all functions.
- Ability to prioritize workflow
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods
- Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
- Good verbal skills
- Good decision making skills
- Decision Making