Applications will be accepted from: All Persons Interested
Division/ Section: Operations / Safety & Emergency
Workdays & Hours: * Varied (Shift work, including rotation, weekends and holidays) subject to change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The role of the emergency management team is to be prepared to respond to disasters by developing sound emergency response policies and procedures by assuring continuous improvement through audits, data analysis, measurement of key performance indicators and providing technical assistance to achieve the highest levels of emergency preparedness. The division is responsible for developing training programs, emergency response plans and conducting periodic exercises and drills for stakeholders, employees and individuals involved in emergency response. In addition, the division is responsible for developing after action reports and implementing lessons learned into procedures and plans in order to avoid any similar mistakes and any recurrences from happening in the future.
The Emergency Management Specialist III position serves as a liaison to the Houston Emergency Operations Center during disasters, incidents, and major events. The position supports the Emergency Manager in the design, planning, and test response procedures of airport first responders and mutual aid partners in emergencies or disasters. Provides assistance to the Hobby (HOU) Division Manager of Airport Operations Communication & Emergency Management during a major incident or natural disaster event. This role assists in conducting drills and exercises for responses to such emergencies as aircraft accidents, bomb threats, active shooter, hazardous material spills, business operations interruptions, structural fire, and major natural disasters. Supports the emergency preparedness program as needed, in addition to liaison with airport staff, local, state, county and federal agencies, airlines, tenants, and non-governmental organizations in coordinating emergency efforts throughout the emergency management cycle. Responsible for assisting in implementing standard operating procedures and comprehensive plans to respond to catastrophic incidents to include clear standardization, guidance, and assistance to ensure common terminology, approach, and framework for all strategic and operational planning. Provides guidance to the ICV as needed.
The Emergency Management Specialist III duties will includes but is not limited to:
- Analyze and review best practices, procedures to develop recommendations for improvement of prevention, preparedness, response, recovery and/or mitigation activities. Activate, prepare, and facilitate the operations of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at HOU when needed.
- Represents supervisor at meetings and functions generally to gather information. Ensure database is maintained and the information is shared in a timely manner. Handles highly confidential information.
- Independently develop, implement, and periodically review of emergency management plans. Completes special projects as assigned, working on a wide variety of issues and problems of simple to medium complexity.
- Participates in evaluation and design of workflow, processes, various emergency plans, etc. Prepares, edits and revises safety policies and procedures. Standardizing processes and procedures.
- Implement emergency management goals through specific tasks including but not limited to maintaining records, compiling documentation, and generating reports or other data products. Provide support in preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Coordinate with limited supervision citywide preparations and activities in the event of an emergency and assists in the implementation of continuity plans. Negotiates solutions for problems of simple to medium complexity. Responds to correspondence, requests for information, etc.
- Maintains proficiency in job tasks through regular training attendance and participation in exercises. Develops technological solutions and systems for continuous improvement programs and other appropriate applications.
- May perform other job-related duties and responsibilities on a limited basis for certain functions, units, or programs.
This position may involve physical exertion, such as lifting and moving objects. Sitting or standing for extended periods of time may be required. The work environment for this position may be varied, and can include working outdoors in extreme weather conditions, in structures that lack climate control, or in an office environment. The office may have occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions. The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to office chemicals and/or extensive use of a video display terminal. Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no
real speed requirements.
A Bachelor’s degree related to emergency management, emergency response, public safety, public health, criminal justice, or public administration.
Substitution: A Master’s degree related to emergency management, emergency response, public safety, public health, criminal justice, or public administration may substitute for one year of experience.
Preference: Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) issued by a State or International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM).
Five years of experience in emergency management, emergency response, public safety, public health, criminal justice, or public administration.
Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge in public safety, emergency preparedness procedures, and of aviation or airport emergency management. Ability to work flexible hours to include respond to on-call emergencies is preferred. Handle highly confidential information, independently develop, implement and periodically review of emergency management plans is highly desired.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRE
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade - 26
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at:
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Emergency Management Specialist III
If you need special services or accommodations, call
; (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume along with their completed application when applying. For further information pertaining to the Houston Airport System, please visit:
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Emergency Management Specialist III
EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
- Business Process Improvement
- Certified Emergency Manager