Penske Logistics recently acquired Black Horse Carriers and together, we bring the best the transportation industry has to offer. We are seeking a proven leader with relevant experience and skills to join our team of transportation and logistics professionals. We are seeking a candidate to provide operational leadership to individual contributors and hourly workforce to ensure the execution of daily tasks and activities including driver deliveries, loading/unloading of trailers, cross docking and customer service operations in a manner consistent with company services and cost objectives.
This role supervises most processes directly including workforce and equipment scheduling. Responsible for making corrective action and disciplinary decisions up to written warning level. Involved in the hiring process and customer meetings as necessary. Reviews truck runs based on location of accounts, volume, costs, customer requirements and private fleet utilization. Review daily orders for additional private fleet opportunities based on above requirements.
Schedule: 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Supporting: Approximately 45 Drivers
Skills: Driver management, Ability to lead, Computer Skills, Multitasking
• Communicate performance standards that are specific and measurable, Interview hourly associates and provide recommendations for hire, Monitor attendance, productivity, and other performance markers and provide counseling and/or recognition to associates as needed.
• Supervise logistics operations including customer service, freight loading and unloading, dispatch and proper documentation and procedure control, Evaluate and recommend changes in preferred work methods to increase productivity of dispatch/warehouse operations. Assist in new associate training, Provide relief coverage for operational duties when associates utilize time-off or are absent from the shift, Have a thorough working knowledge of the site's operating systems in order to ensure operational compliance and correct exception resolution, Complete all necessary records and reports in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Schedule drivers and vehicles in support of customer accounts
• Manage the utilization of equipment at or away from the Terminal
• Document fuel reporting to the vehicle leasing companies and the Interstate vehicle state line crossings
• Ensure compliance with financial policies and procedures such as inventory accuracy and control, returns, damages, etc, Understand the relationship between decision-making and profitability, Closely manage associates' working hours and activities to minimize overtime and to meet or exceed productivity targets.
• Prepare reports in support of the business
• Ensure day-to-day management and associate activities are in alignment with the location safety strategy, Provide associates with communication, training, feedback, and direction to ensure safe performance, Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies and company policies and procedures.
• Ensure compliance with Federal and State regulations, including but not limited to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and OSHA regulations
• Develop processes and controls to monitor the safe and efficient operation of the Terminal and its resources
Growth / Customer Experience:
• Understand the location-specific customer goals & objectives, Ensure the customer knows that we are committed to helping them meet their objectives, Determine areas that could benefit from Continuous Improvement efforts.
• Maintain relationships with the customers and vendors and address customer’s complaints
• Properly plan work assignments to ensure effective use of fleet/warehouse equipment, Work with hourly associates to ensure they understand safe and efficient operation of equipment.
Other projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor