To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- San Antonio, TX 78222
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Behavioral Health Consultant (DHWC)
Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. • San Antonio, TX
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The mission of Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. (MHM) is “Serving Humanity to Honor God” by improving the physical, mental and spiritual health of those least served in the Rio Texas Conference area of The United Methodist Church.
- Provide onsite consultation, education, brief assessment and evidence-based interventions to address chronic disease and acute behavioral health needs in a primary care medical setting.
- Provide Behavioral Health Consultations to include individual, couples, and/ or family consultations including:
- Functional and strength-based assessment and diagnosis;
- Psychoeducation for patients and their support systems;
- Medication adherence counseling and disease self-management counseling;
- Motivational Interviewing to develop behavioral strategies aimed at symptom reduction;
- Brief problem solving cognitive intervention aimed at modifying negative thinking and promoting self-efficacy;
- Self-Care Plan development and skills training to facilitate disease self-management, improved coping, distress tolerance, stress reduction, and relaxation; and
- Substance use/abuse evaluation, identification of maladaptive coping strategies, and development of harm reduction strategies.
- Work a flexible schedule which includes unscheduled patient visits, same day patient visits and scheduled patient visits referred by Providers, members of interdisciplinary team and self-referrals.
- Build and maintain a therapeutic relationship with patients and perform assessments of patient needs and, with patient and primary care provider, develop a negotiated care plan.
- Conduct group classes and group visits to promote skill building, education and improved health for the patient.
- Provide consultant services to clinical staff based on Primary Care Behavioral Health Consultation model.
- Consult with clinical staff to enhance understanding of the patient, provide decision support for treatment planning and assist in the implementation and monitoring of biopsychosocial treatment plans.
- Determine if patients have need for specialty mental health services and/or termination as needed.
- Be immediately available in the event of a psychiatric emergency, evaluating crisis situations and applying appropriate interventions.
- Use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the International
Classification of Diseases (ICD), and other diagnostic classification systems in assessment,
diagnosis and other activities as appropriate.
- Provide traditional psycho-therapy as needed.
- Assist with care coordination and access to resources for patients as needed.
- Make appropriate referrals to Methodist Healthcare Ministries Social Worker for case management services and conduct follow up to ensure service delivery.
- Maintain productivity expectations established by supervisor.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of case flow, assessments, consultations and crisis
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and families referred for
- Promote interactive communication with Methodist Healthcare Ministries programs, the community and other community agencies.
- Attend and participate in meetings and Quality Assurance activities as required.
- Implement policies and procedures and recommend any needed modifications.
- Develop and maintain a cumulative record for each patient receiving Behavioral Health Consultation and/or counseling services.
- Sustains productivity expectations established by supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Master’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy or related field; two years providing counseling and competency in providing cognitive behavioral interventions required. Experience providing Behavioral Health Consultant services in a in primary care setting preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating manuals, maintenance instructions, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical documents. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public. Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to perform independently.
Certificates and Licenses:
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Marriage and Family Counselor (LMFT) or Licensed Psychologist required. Eligible for licensure in Texas required.
Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of the Internet, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and electronic health records software. Ability to efficiently document in electronic health record.
Ability to drive and have access to a car, maintain a valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance.
Frequent in-town travel required. Periodic regional travel required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to an office and residential environment having direct contact with patients and clients. Position necessitates bending, stooping, reaching, kneeling and crouching, sitting, standing and walking for periods of time. Must be able to lift and maneuver 25 pounds.
Maybe required to work evenings and/or weekends.
Methodist Healthcare Ministries (MHM) and subcontractor(s) shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
Methodist Healthcare Ministries (MHM) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
MHM complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
MHM expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of MHM's employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
MHM makes reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to perform a job unless such accommodation would impose an undue business hardship. Please let us know if you need an accommodation to participate in the application process.